Mod

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

There's been some really interesting definitions - it seems like most of us talk about recovery as an ongoing process that requires us to work towards....which leads into our seconds question...

What is something that has or could have helped you on your recovery journey?

Mod

@loves netball well said

@letitgo why thank you Smiley Wink

@Alison5 good question! It's a totally imperfect metaphor (just sounds good haha!)
Relapse can be minor, a setback, a dip or it can be major like starting to SH again, use substances again, become violent again.
That's why I think it's really important to have a plan of some sort for if/when relapse might happen. A prepared way of how you might transition away from that relapse and back into recovery...
Super star contributor

I think it really sucks that the time in recovery can be so short for me and the time in replapse feels like it's never ending @letitgo

Mod

Okay, next question -

What is something that helped or could have helped on your recovery journey?

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

ooops sorry for the double post @May_!!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

@letitgo it was helpful to see it twice - don't worry! Smiley Happy

I find having others around me willing to help me gain insight into my behaviours really helpful in recovery. Hard to process of course but ultimately helpful.
Builder

I think support of any sort is going to help on your recovery journey. Whether that be family, friends, teachers, counsellors or RO.

Whether you admit it or not, as humans we are a social species and need connection with others. When times get tough, it becomes even more important. People can provide encouragement, reassurance, undivided support and love, advice or just be a physical person to hug or hold. 

Builder

I think the most helpful thing for me is to reach out (see what I did there? Smiley Tongue hehe). I tend to get all caught up in "being recovered" because I've accessed so many services and so much help, that I forget that it's still perfectly okay to ask for help when I need it. But when I have finally sought external help, instead of trying to do it all myself, it has been THE most helpful thing possible.

Mod

yeah I can see how that would be hard for you @loves netball. The times in recovery will become longer as you go along, I'd imagine. What do you reckon?

Remember you'll always have us here at RO! Heart

Builder

I think realising that relapses are short term and that everyone slips up and makes mistakes sometimes. I think that can bring people closer to recovery knowing that it is a journey as @May_ said and not something that is a straight line or immediate. It can help to feel less guilty and not to fall back into the cycle of relapsing by moving on by recognising the above.
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.
– Henry Ford
Top High Fived Authors