Super star contributor

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

I wish I got better support earlier. It would have helped not lot be labelled with diagnosis that wasn't even true

Builder

I agree 100% @dustb0wldance. You put that very well.
Mod

Thank you @StarLord!

Hmm... something that helped is being honest with people when I did relapse, rather than trying to hide it or keep it secret. It helped in a physical sense in terms of caring for myself after SH, and in the sense that it reduced my sense of isolation and reminded me that there are people - my psychologist, at least - who cared about me and were there to support me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

@T4ils that's such a good point - everyone makes mistakes sometimes. I can definitely be guilty of thinking other people are perfect and find things easy - but everyone has their own struggles
Mod

Helloo!! I'm just going to start from q 2 hahah

What is something that has or could have helped you on your recovery journey?

For me, writing things down or having support around me as others have suggested - I sometimes find it hard to notice when I'm being self-destructive or at least not helping myself, so keeping track of my own behaviours and having other people to bounce thoughts off has been useful in developing self-awareness

Mod

My first answer was quite specific... in a general sense, I think something that helped a lot was finding a role model (in my case, Renee Yohe) and kind of reassuring myself that if she could do it, so could I. Okay, that wasn't general either, haha! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

[ Edited ]

Hey guys! Sorry I'm a bit late- was feeling slightly dead after work, but I am mostly alive now. Mostly.

(I've been sitting on one of my legs for the past hour, and it's now well and truly comatose.)

Annnyyywaaay...

What is something that helped or could have helped on your recovery journey?

At the cost of sounding like a happy-go-lucky commercial, I would say "Engaging with life". Which, in less wishy-washy terms, means doing things that are real and have an impact on the world around me. Not necessarily a big impact, just an impact, so I get to step outside of my headspace for a moment or two and feel like I'm contributing/doing something. That could be as simple as taking 30 minutes out of my day to catch up with friends over coffee, going for a run or doing an hour or two of volunteering at the local Vinnies, or like...actually sitting down and getting some work done. (Not that I'm particularly good at that last one...)

EDIT: I'd also add that learning a new skill is pretty neat too.

Mod

@letitgo I really feel you on the honesty thing, I often felt like I was a burden or a failure if I admitted to relapsing. In reality, honesty does pretty much the opposite of what you think, and just strengthens the bond you have with your supports

Mod

What is something that has or could have helped you on your recovery journey?

I think trying to live in the moment and acceptance and key to the recovery journey. Trying not to feel guilty for relapsing and knowing mistakes are inevitable is key to staying on track in the general upwards direction I think
Mod

@letitgo I love the thing you said about using other people as role models and thinking if they can do it so can I. I do this aaallll the time and with every person I ever meet without even really being conscious of it
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count