Mod

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

exactly @safari93. I read a quote once that said, "secrets make you sick." And I know it's cliche, but I've found that the truth does bring with it a kind of freedom  and relief you can't get from anything else

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

I seriously love everyone's answers to that last question! It seems like we can all agree that asking for help is just that - super helpful! Smiley Happy

Next question,
What are some setbacks that you have faced and how have you dealt with these in your recovery?

Builder

What are some setbacks that you have faced and how have you dealt with these in your recovery?

For me my biggest setbacks have resulted from a change in my perspective or attitude. So I foget all of the helpful things i've learnt and forget how far i've come and then this leads to worse feelings and may result in a relapse. 

They have been difficult to deal with in recovery because there are two ways to look at a relapse/setback.

1. You have overcome it before and you can do it again!

2. It keeps happening so don't bother trying.

Of course, I strive for the more positive outlook Smiley Happy

Mod

Not believing in myself and not believing that change is possible is the biggest setback for me. I still haven't really worked out how to overcome this to be honest. I think it's something that gradually happens as you get older, as you accomplish more things, learn to care less about things and your confidence grows.

Mod

Ummm...I'd say some setbacks for me (or a big one) was not being able to say no to people when they needed help and then feeling so out of control that I'd end up relapsing. It was at those times that I realised I really needed to work on being assertive and putting myself first, and I've slowly started getting better at maintaining my boundaries. I often don't say no outright, I'll make up an excuse e.g. I'm working so as to avoid the confrontation.

And I've found DBT skills like DEARMAN to be very helpful in this regard.

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

The biggest setbacks I've noticed are just my own thought processes about things. I think if you hear certain messages about yourself and your place in life over and over, you just accept that they are true, and then you end up blaming yourself for not being able to live up to what is expected of you. It took me a while just to start questioning those maladaptive thoughts, and even now I find myself slipping back into them - the main difference now is that I notice when it's happening, and have ways of deconstructing them 

Builder

I think that most of my setbacks have been self inflicted. Things like, falling in to the trap of thinking "I'm feeling better - I don't need to see my care coordinator/psychologist/GP/groups/etc anymore" or biting off way more than I can chew with work/friends/study/family/etc. Orrrrr not taking my medication.

For most of these, I've had to completely fall apart before pulling myself back together. When things have gotten waaaay too overwhelming, the only way of dealing with these has been to get back in contact with my networks, to take a break and set more realistic expectations of myself and to start taking my medication again.

Super star contributor

Setbacks: crisis after crisis - hospital admissions plus numerous other visits to ED. Sometimes the SH and worse are everyday struggles. Other times I'll go a week or two in recovery..

Strategies/learning new skills, changing my environment, opening up to someone about whatever is triggering me, making myself a routine, exercise, register in a few fun runs so I have to train and stay safe

Mod

@dustb0wldance it's good that you're so aware of these setbacks and what you need to do in order to pick yourself back up!

Mod

This reminded me that another setback for me was probably that I resisted taking medication for such a long time. I wanted to believe that I could do it all myself, that I wasn't one of those people who relied on a "magic pill." Also the fact that my mum had been telling me to take medication for ages made me determined to resist it.

What helped me then was realising that it was actually a sign of strength to recognise that I needed help and to allow myself to reach out for that. 

Top High Fived Authors