Builder

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

Yesss @StarLord! That is exacly what I'm getting at! My biggest setback is definitely that I get in the habit of going "Yep, I'm fine now!" and not keeping my training up to make sure I don't go backwards!

Mod

[ Edited ]

@loves netballyes I love that - "a daily effort to keep pushing forward" - I need to stick that on my wall or something to stop myself from making up excuses for why I can't exercise today Smiley Tongue

Mod

I'm going to have to head off now, still got a bunch of things to do before bed. Goodnight everyone!!

Mod

Night @safari93! Thanks for stopping by!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Do you think it's okay to have a relapse? What are the negative and positive aspects of having a relapse?

I do. I think it's all part of the journey. Like you have to have the setbacks to appreciate the goos times. 

The negative aspects of a relapse are that you may feel like you have to start again. 

The positives are that it means more time for practise on your skills. You learn better from your mistakes.

Builder

3. What are some setbacks that you have faced and how have you dealt with these in your recovery?

A huge setback happened for me in the middle of 2016 when I decided to not take my medication, and very abruptly stopped, I had to deal with the withdrawal issues, plus why I was on meds in the first place, and it all become a mess. I couldn't tell anyone this big mistake I'd made it and it was about 3 months later I started them back up again. Such a horrible time, I definitely got past it with support of people RO who really helped me with taking steps to booking appointments and talking to people about what I'd done.
Mod

[ Edited ]

Goodnight @safari93 thanks for logging on!

Do you think it’s okay to have a relapse? What are the positive and negative aspects of having a relapse?

Yes I think it's ok to have a relapse - I think accepting that is key to recovery.

Negative - emotionally/physically horrible and unpleasant, can trigger negative thoughts

Positive - can make you stronger (Eg if I got through that I can get through anything), can strengthen your ability to empathise with others, makes you human

Builder

[ Edited ]

Do you think it's okay to have a relapse? What are the negative and positive aspects of having a relapse?

It's taken me a long time to learn that relapsing doesn't mean I'm not worth the air I breathe. In the past, when I've relapsed I've always, always, blamed myself. And because I've blamed myself, I've made myself feel like I could have and, more importantly, should have, stopped myself from getting in to this position - by which logic I always decided that I deserved it. Now I think it's okay - it's natural. Literally everyone has their ups and downs; some people's may not feel as drastic as mine but they do. still. happen.

I think negatives of relapsing for me mostly include the feeling that I've ruined everything, and won't be able to get my life back on track; it also makes me feel like I've let the people around me down.
I think, though, that a positive of relapsing is that when I'm finally back on the upward of the dip, it's amazing motivation for me to prove my own negative thinking wrong and be determined to get my sh!t together!

Builder

I think it's ok to have a relapse, it happens to so many people I don't even like using the word relapse because it's more just a part of the ride,even though it sucks
Mod

yes @dustb0wldance -   "relapsing doesn't mean I'm not worth the air I breathe" I need to write this over and over again when it doesn't feel true until I start to believe it. So well put!

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Top High Fived Authors