Super star contributor

Re: [GR] It's getting better! ...Wait, no. It's getting worse.

I think relapsing is okay as long as it can be controlled. Impulsiveness can be dangerous in a relapse, that's way strategies and coping skills are important. A replase can mean learning even more skills and learning how strong we can be Smiley Happy

It's important not to beat ourselves up after a relapse, e.g. scars fade after time

Mod

It's definitely okay to relapse. It's part of the process. Or at least that's how I try to think of it...

Negatives: Leaves you feeling guilty, maybe ashamed, feels like a step backwards.

Positives: can be empowering, affirming the importance of moving forward

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

I think your insight on the importance of strategies and coping mechanisms is amazing @loves netball! And I totally agree with your positives on it! <3

Mod

Totally agree @loves netball and I think you raise a really good point about how impulsiveness means that skills/strategies are so important

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

Yeah, these are some great positives everyone! Things I must write down and remember!
Builder

Moving on to our next question.

This one is similar to the previous ones but i'm keen to see your responses:

What things do you think have or could lead you to having a relapse?

Super star contributor

[ Edited ]

Something triggers me - past stuff that hasn't been addressed properly/ stressful events/ major changes in routine and everyday life stuff/ uni/ social situations

Nightmares that really upset me

Builder

I think anything from bad memories and triggers to anniversaries of past events. Sometimes there isn't much of a reason that is visible, but is more of a subconscious decrease in our mood.
I think that momentary loss of cognitive thought is what causes most relapses. Some may be as a result of impulse and others are an underlying sense of failure that comes through.
Mod

[ Edited ]

What things do you think have or could lead you to having a relapse?

Having a crisis, feeling overwhelmed or stressed, not having enough alone time, etc. But pushing through tough times or things that I feel like I "can't do" is what makes me ultimately stronger 

Mod

Bting off more than I can chew and not respecting my limitations is something that has lead or could lead to relapse for me...

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count