Community Manager

Re: GR Managing your money

What are some of the things that make managing money tricky?

Definitely all the things like bills etc that @N1ghtW1ng mentioned. Although to be honest what i discovered the biggest drain on my money was the countless little things. Like buying lunch out every day of the week, buying a couple of coffees a day, little random things that i bought for projects and ideas and hobbies (that i probably didn't always need). 

Also not having a goal made it tricky, because seeing money in the account and not having any reason not  to spend it left me looking for a cool thing Smiley Tongue 

AND I think growing up in a really poor family. Basically i don't think i really got the hang of having more money than i needed to survive a week, so i was kind of in the habit of spending it all...

Mod

What are some of the things that make managing money tricky?
Balancing wants vs needs. Sometimes a sale is too hard to resist and you ends up with less money for food that week.

I've heard that's a pretty common thing with people living week-to-week @Ben-RO where they're used to not having money and sometimes feel like they need to spend it before it has to be spent on something else.
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Builder

And I think your point @Ben-RO leads on well to our next question:

What are some of the things that help you manage your money better?

Super star contributor

[ Edited ]

Not having money. Or putting most of the money in my savings account so I can't access it easily, and only having a certain amount of cash in my wallet

Builder

When I first moved out of home, I tried to figure out a bit of a budget. It soon became too much effort for me to want to write down how much I spent on groceries which tbh is my biggest variable cost.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Builder

I think having a goal to work towards helps me from spending. So saying, I want to reach x amount of savings or saving up to buy a certain item etc.
Mod

Having a budget and writing out shopping lists helps me to manage my money better. I find that when it is all written down I am more likely to be able to spend less and it helps me to be organised for things like Christmas because I start in August slowly shopping through out all of the sales and getting people checked off the list early so I don't have to drop $600 in one week. 

I agree with @loves netball on having a savings account or limited cash in wallet because it limits how much you can spend, and means you have to put in more effort when you want to buy something. Say, you put a certain amount of money aside, and take out a certain amount you need for neccessities, then you have to put in more effort when you want to spend on something you don't really need because you've got it put away somewhere or don't have enough available.

Also, I'm eating my dinner now, so I'll probably drop off for a little while Smiley Tongue
Builder

[ Edited ]

Hey guys! Sorry I'm late, was attempting to find the SUPERMOON hahaha no luck! 

Money saving has been essential for me in the past year actually! I finished uni and started working full time pretty much, and also met my boyfriend! Who lives in America. So I try and save up as much as possible, to make one trip a year Smiley Happy

Things that make money difficult, are many of the things @Ben-RO said! I'm a coffee addict, and found that when I started making cups at home, I'd say about $30 a week! Also, bills aren't great either 

Top High Fived Authors