Community Manager

Re: GR Managing your money

Actually thinking about it more, I also "budget" by looking at my bank account, how much went in in the last month vs how much went out... if  i spend as much as i earned or spend MORE than i earned... i know i have a big problem! If I am about 20 percent a month under what i earned... so if i earned 1000 bucks spent 800 bucks and saved 200 bucks then I consider that as doing okay. And I try and save a bit more than that when i can Smiley Happy 

Builder

@Bay52VU I track my expenses on paper! I kep receipts and write what comes in vs what goes out 

Community Manager

Builder

omg @nc_reachout13 that sounds like even more effort than a spreadsheet haha Smiley Tongue Good work though for having the commitment to stick with that system Smiley Happy
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Super star contributor

If there is no cash left in my wallet, then I know I spent to much. I try to avoid shopping unless it's food.

Builder

Yeah that's true @Alison5 but I guess I was thinking, when someone first writes a budget they might not know much about how things cost and might have to realistically adjust some things, or might forget to factor something in. Or they might have started out allocating heaps for going out but then later as they develop their cooking skills find that they're spending less on going out and more on groceries than originally allocated, but can actually save more and put more towards whatever savings goal they had. In this case, a positive savings adjustment.

So from my perspective I don't think it's defeating the purpose at all, unless the only reason someone's changing it is contradicting what they originally set out to do by making it in the first place.
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Builder

Time for the next question!

How far into the future do you think about money? 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

@Ben-RO heyyyyy I'll try and catch up as well as help run this
//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@loves netball I use a similar strategy. I only use cash (mainly because I hate using my card) I avoid shopping by not going out anywhere Smiley Tongue

I usually set myself personal rules like, no cash-no purchase (although I broke that rule today, don't tell anyone Smiley Tongue) and then every now and again I'll take money out so I have cash. But I definitely put more money into savings then I spend.
Community Manager

You got dis! @j95

We have two questions up

How far into the future do you think about money? 

and 

What are some of your budgeting tips?

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count