Mod

Re: GR Managing your money

How far into the future do you think about money?
Not at all. Smiley Tongue A couple of months ago I told myself no spending money until December. Today I did spend money, but I also needed birdseed and that can't wait another month. But really, I hardly think into the future about money. I do worry about it when I think about living out of home, but never in a realistic sense, more just guessing and ideas rather than actual numbers.
Builder

Very far - too far! Every dollar I get, my intial reaction is, okay put this in the bank, there's another dollar to save up for a house. What's worse is that I have done this since I was around 9 years old!(I'm a bit stuck in my ways)
Builder

I think about money a lot, because any form of debt literally scares me half to death. I like having money because it gives me the flexibility to do the things I want. 

My tips:

• don't spend more than you earn 
  • track your expenses 
  • don't agree to contracts or cards you can't afford to pay back
Community Manager

Pretty far these days. I've realised that money i save now is worth a LOT more than money i save later. Like... basically if I save a buck and get 5% interest on it for 10 years it'll be worth 2 bucks... that doesn't seem like much but i just made a buck for doing nothing. Now imagine if you did that with 20,000 bucks.... anyway I like the idea of putting a little bit aside that I don't really notice knowing that that bit of money that i didn't really care about will one day turn into quite a bit of money that I will care about Smiley Tongue 

Mod

Thanks everyone for joining in tonight, it has been an awesome session unfortunately it's time for me to leave and nurse my tummy with some ice cream Smiley Tongue

Thanks again for all the awesome tips guys! Smiley Happy I'll be sure to remember them when I start budgeting Smiley Happy
Super star contributor

I really hate how much emphasis there is on to have a lot of money to get anywhere in life

Builder

How good are you at managing your money?

I'm fairly good, I earn not all that much being an apprentice so there isn't a lot of money to throw around and waste cause I got bills and stuff, but I do like to treat myself a little more often than I should. I consider myself fairly lucky I haven't had to use credit cards or get loans yet cause nope,but thats easy to say harder to do. 

But I do find that I'm good at buying big things like holidays but refuse to pay for shipping and stupid little things like that.

What are some of the things that make managing money tricky?

- Wanting to have money in case of emergencies then thinking I could be using the money on something useful rather than have it sitting there.

- Unexpected payments

- Buying random stuff for projects 

- When Kmart bring out new homewares

What are some of the things that help you manage your money better?

I used to refuse to look at my bank statement but now I look because it says where all my money is gone and it mostly says 

'Coles'

'IGA'

'Random cafe'

'Kmart' 

the whole way through so I use that as reminder to stop wasting my money at Kmart etc

Also, I discovered my bank has this thing online where you have a pie chart on what you spend your money on, like food & drink, petrol, utilities etc it does it all automatically. Also some of my pay goes over to a seperate account each week, I know  I can pull it out if I need its just harder to do so. 

andddd i cant catch up without getting further behind so thats all i'll say 

Builder

Goodnight @N1ghtW1ng
Community Manager

That's a really good point @loves netball Do you reckon we get a little too fixated on money? 

I know a lot of people want to have lots of money because it kind of represents freedom or at least safety and security what do you reckon> 

Builder

Good chat guys. Smiley Happy I'm also out - pokestop to spin, dishes to do, bag to pack. Looking forward to reading the rest of the Q/A later Smiley Happy
____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Top High Fived Authors