Builder

Re: Hand care, skin care, health care, what about self care?

Hey everyone! 

What is your understanding of self care? 

Consciously taking some time for yourself. Whether that be treating yourself, having a break or doing something you enjoy.

Mod

Hey everyone!

I think of self-care as things we do to keep ourselves safe, happy and healthy. To me it's about picking yourself up when you're in a rough patch and also trying to prevent those struggles happening in the first place Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

Helloooo @loves netball @roseisnotaplant @Alison5 awesome to see you all tonight Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

My understanding of self care, is that when things get hectic, you take some time to do something to help you chill out and calm down. It could be something as simple as going for a walk or drawing in a notebook - but it could be something bigger as well.

Mod

@Alison5 that's a great definition. Do you think self-care always needs to be a conscious effort, or can become an unconscious thing if we practice it enough over time?

Super star contributor

@Ben-RO my idea of self care is come here instead of going to the hospital - the latter might be more important but too bad.

Mod

That cat gif is great @Randomness.

And as to my understanding of self-care, it's basically the act of doing whatever is physically or psychologically necessary to look after your own well-being in order to allow you to live as fully and optimally as possible. Circumstances permitting, of course.

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

@loves netball thanks for joining the conversation. self-care can be a tough thing to start doing, especially when it came seem like such a foreign concept. I hope this conversation can help you out with it a bit! Smiley Happy

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Community Manager

Self-care to me is a habit that i have to work hard at. It;s the art of doing all the things that help my body and my brain tick over sustainably. It's also knowing when to stop doing things before i run out of Spoons. 

Mod

@lokifish in regards to your question (hope you don't mind me answering as well, I just really loved it), I think self-care can become an unconscious thing sometimes, but if we're really stressed out/under the weather it might become or need to become a conscious thing...

Top High Fived Authors