Mod

Re: Hand care, skin care, health care, what about self care?

Ah yes, the spoon theory! Definitely very relevant here. I think I'll now revise my earlier answer to include something about being mindful of my number of spoons! Thanks @Ben-RO

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

@letitgo always feel free to jump in! Smiley Tongue I tend to agree with you - I find that I need to make a conscious effort to practice self-care when things are getting tough

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Super star contributor

To me self care is looking after my body's physical & psychological needs when it's needed, and before it becomes well overdue

Builder

I generally think it will always be a conscious effort because if it's not, then we are likely not getting the full impact of the self-care which is realizing that we need to have a break etc.
Mod

(In case anyone is reading this and wondering what on earth cutlery has to do with self-care, there's an awesome thread here which you can check out Smiley Tongue)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

@lokifish do you think the self-care activities you practise unconsciously are overly different to those you practise when things are getting tough? 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

that's a really good explanation @loves netball and i 100% agree!

Mod

that's a good point @Alison5. do you find that self-care activities in your own life are often conscious?

Mod

oooh good question @letitgo, I think the ones I practice unconsciously are just the things I've put a lot of work into consciously doing, if that makes sense? Like I start by consciously doing them and then sometimes they just become automatic go-to things Smiley Happy

Mod

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing some great answers so far! It sounds like self-care can look different for different people, but it's doing something for ourselves regularly, especially when the going gets tough, but also when it isn't  so we don't end up having a tough time! 

It's an interesting thought about how conscious self-care has to be. I think it's something we need to actively make time for and work on, and in that way it's conscious, I think sometimes certain self-care activities can become habit or we do self-care things without even realising! 

Top High Fived Authors