Super star contributor

Re: Hand care, skin care, health care, what about self care?

@roseisnotaplant pulling weeds is something I have done before and it's no worse than milking cows - oh now I miss cows

Mod

@roseisnotaplant gardening seems like a great way of picking yourself up after a tough day! Totally wish I had a green thumb Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

@roseisnotaplant no judgement here! if it helps, that's great! And I get what you mean about using something casual like youtube - after a long day, sometimes I need to let my brain unwind, so I'll scroll through Facebook or Twitter, or watch an episode of a TV show

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

I am admittedly the go at 100 miles an hour person 24/7 until I crash, so self care is something I need to get a lot better at. For me, self care can be small things like watching a movie or funny youtube videos (or anything that makes me laugh will make me feel better!), taking a warm shower, remembering to sleep... or sometimes it helps me to see/talk to friends, go out somewhere, get away, lose myself in the bush or at the beach! 

Builder

Oh I forgot about writing @letitgo. I do loads of it. I'll write fiction as a form of self care as like a distraction, but also like a stream of consciousness thing if I need To write stuff down and get it out and just process it.

Mod

For me, some of the things I like to do are going for walks, playing with my dog and having a nice warm bath. And chocolate! Lots of chocolate! Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

Do you have any experience with practicing self-care? What are some of the things you do?

I have only recently come to terms with self-care and realised how important it is.

Unfortunately I still need a bit of convincing to take breaks and treat myself, but I always feel better after it.

For me, just stopping and staring at the sky or something is a great break. I also like to spend time with my dog who always improves my mood. When things are more difficult, I may decide to actually stop everything for the dsy and go for a walk or even take a power nap. Afterwards, I might do some light activities, but that are still productive.

Super star contributor

My form of self care:

-Run/gym/bike ride - or little forms of exercise e.g. push ups/ chin ups/ burpees

-Eat something other than chocolate

-Baking

-Hugs (Big Ted) or my cat (who hates hugs)

-Youtube (netball)/positive music

-Colouring in

-Showering/clean clothes

-Wearing yellow clothes

-TIP (when things are really intense)

Or whatever else I feel like doing

Mod

I'm exactly the same @roseisnotaplant in terms of the stream of consciousness thing to just get stuff out and process it. Sooo helpful! Do you prefer typing on a computer or using pen/paper? 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

Yes pets! I can't have any right now, so I just look them up and visit pet shops periodically and plan for my future pet possession, which fortunately will begin early next year! 

Top High Fived Authors