Super star contributor

Re: Hand care, skin care, health care, what about self care?

That is one hard question @letitgo!!!

Was that a hint at me to leave @Sally-RO???

Builder

What do you do, or what can you do, when you don't have the energy to self-care?

For me, this is when I do the basics - so eating, showering and sleeping. I know I have to do them, so I manage to push through and find the energy for them.

Mod

What do you do, or what can you do, when you don't have the energy to self-care?

Great question. I think involving other people in our self-care can be a great motivation - it can be something simple like meeting a friend for coffee Smiley Happy Also perhaps having a set time each day dedicated to self-care, so that it becomes a habit and thus takes less energy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

it definitely is a tough one @loves netball. we're all about confronting the tough stuff if it'll help!

Is there anything that jumps to mind for you in regards to this?

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Builder

I think doing something super passive like lying down and listening to music can be good if you don't have the energy for something more involved. I made a playlist called 'chill out bro' for times like that, and I can just turn it on and stare at the ceiling for a while.

Community Manager

The struggle is very real at times @loves netball and i think it's awesome that you still have a crack at it anyway. Do you feel guilty if you don't do self-care? I know that a lot of people mention that is a thing for them. 

Mod

I think that's a helpful approach @Alison5. when we don't have much energy, it can feel like we're in "survival mode" and the basics are what we need to do to get by, but even doing those are an act of self-care, a way to affirm that we can keep going, by getting out of bed, or eating or anything else 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

Cool idea @roseisnotaplant and I love the name of that playlist. I've just called mine "Comfort Songs"

Mod

What is your understanding of self care? 

Self care is an activity that you do to take care of yourself. To help yourself recharge from a busy week or day or just for some alone time. 

Do you have any experience with practicing self-care? What are some of the things you do?

While I do have some experience practicing self-care, I don't really think about it as self-care. Things that I would do include watching my fav cartoons (Rescue Bots is honestly my go-to good-feelings show), taking the dog/s for a walk, playing on my phone, sketching(although sometimes that doesn't work because I kind of suck), I want to get back into writing, so hopefully I'll add that and piano (something I also want to get back into) to the list. And reading, although because of some sleep issues, I haven't been reading that often. (I used to read before going to sleep but some other problems put a stop to that. I also use RO as self-care, I usually stick to Hanging Out and Everyday Life but sometimes I'll go into Tough Times because helping people helps me too Smiley Tongue (ugh that sounds so silly, but for some reason, it does) And food. The next question reminded me that another form of self-care that I do is chat to my friends, especially when I'm feeling a bit lonely, I try to strike up a conversation with them.

I'm not very good at it though, mainly because I don't treat it as self-care as a lot of these things I do anyway when I'm bored, or home by myself. I am interested in setting up a little kit specifically for upset-times but as with everything I haven't gotten onto it yet.

When is a good time to practice some self care? Is it something to use only as-needed or should we incorporate it into daily life?

It depends on you when a good time to practice is. I think that maybe some time when you're free or have some spare time to give yourself some alone and self-care time (or just self-care time if some of your self-care involves people). I also think that (with the second part of the question) it depends on your activity. Some things you do can be reserved for when you need it, while others can be used on a daily basis. For example (a really bad example but whatever Smiley Tongue) if you find showering a relaxing and calming activity, then doing that every day is a good idea. But maybe intense exercise, if that's not something you normally do, can be reserved for when you need it. 

Well, I pick one of my menial (as in I do it sooo often and not often as self-care thing) such as Rescue Bots, because who am I kidding, I will ALWAYS have enough energy to sit in front of the TV and watch my favourite rescue team. I guess because I hardly ever do self-care as self-care, I don't really know the answer to this question.

AND I'm all caught up. Smiley Very Happy

Builder

i think just like basic looking after myself, making sure I'm hydrated, I've had a decent meal 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Top High Fived Authors