Community Manager

Re: Technology affecting mental health

I reckon a lot of people who are on their phones all the time are living with just a little bit of anxiety, so maybe it's a good thing as it means they are doing what they need to do to feel okay in what is a stressful situation for them. Keen to hear other thoughts on that point though!

I sometimes experiment with this idea by picking a random person at a gathering who's glued to their phone and making them feel heaps welcome and stuff, they often stop using their phone quite as much! 

Builder

Time for the next q... sorry for the delay Smiley Tongue

How do you use technology a lot in your day-to-day life?

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Mod

@Ben-RO if someone did that to me I'd probably panic Smiley Tongue I usually stick to my phone on the train so that people will understand that I do not want to talk. Actually, someone did try to talk to me once, commenting on my Marvel bag and asking me if I liked it but they made me uncomfortable so that didn't happen. At least I had headphones in, so it wasn't like I was completely ignoring him Smiley Tongue

Although it would depend on the gathering, I don't usually sit on my phone at gatherings, although I do try to hide myself Smiley Tongue (sometimes literally)
Builder

[ Edited ]

@Ben-ROI definitely agree!!

I went to a small birthday event last weekend and knew nobody except the host who had already had a little too much to drink before I even arrived... I only felt a little more comfortable sitting on my phone because I felt really awkward and uncomfortable not knowing anyone 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

@Ben-RO I kinda agree but people that are older than us think we're lazy and don't give two shits about anything other than our phones. That's why I stopped listening to music while taking public transport, because people would look at you as a *typical* teenager.
Mod

I use my phone to track when I go to sleep and when I wake up, although I usually only say wake-up when I've really woken up and am not going to try rolling over and keep sleeping. My phone again I use to play games or look at fanart and things like that because man people are so creative! Smiley Very Happy Canon material is just not enough for my fandom-loving heart. Then at night to listen to music and rain.
My laptop comes into play a lot for reachout and writing and whatever. I use pens to draw with Smiley Tongue Cars to drive (although I don't drive yet! A little over 12 hours and I will know...)

Basically, I use it to entertain myself or do work/hobbies and sleep.
Builder

[ Edited ]

I use technology everyday...

- To check the weather
- To keep up with news
- To listen to music
- To talk to people
- To keep my mental health in check
- For entertainment, those dank memes tho

- Help with sleep

- For advice

- To check what activities I should do (SwellNet, the 'busy' tracker on Google, google maps)

Builder

Hmmm that does seem to be the case sometimes @FootyFan26 its sad
Mod

I work at the registers so I use that screen so much that I dream about it now haha. Used it last night to check the scores of Federer v Nadal last night while I was out and used it again to watch the final two sets. News, weather, youtube, music, snapchat, everything!

Community Manager

I use technology heaps in my day to day life... i mean i work for an organisation that is close to 100% online so... yeah Smiley Tongue

I also use it for lots of other things. It helps me keep track of the things i do to keep my physical health half decent with things like Strava for example. I listen to lots of podcasts and even more music.

Sometimes i use it as a shield. I have some really awesome but also quite bulky headphones that i wear when i'd like some time to myself Smiley Tongue 

Mostly i use technology to talk to people though, people i would have never met otherwise and i think that's pretty dang sweet Smiley Happy 

Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count