Builder

How can I make this happen?

[ Edited ]

I need some help, I have this really big goal but I don't know I'm going to make it all happen and I was hoping others on ReachOut could help me with some direction and ideas, we could come up with stuff together or something. Here's the basic idea:

i'd like to open my own landscaping business. Alongside the regular landscaping stuff I've got a few things I'd really like to aim to do, as part of that business. 

- Creating sensory and therapeutic gardens for those who especially need an outdoor space to relax

- Teaching and mentoring children, young people and families in basic garden care as I feel getting outdoors and the accomplishment and pride when seeing your garden come alive can really help with mental health issues and general wellbeing.

- Sort of leading on from the previous, educating children, young people and families on planting and growing fresh food.

So far I'm well over half way to completing my landscaping and construction apprenticeship, so that's a start.

now I just need help on how to put these goals and dreams into action! 

Builder

Re: How can I make this happen?

@dustb0wldance here it is Smiley Happy
Builder

Okay, so this is infinitely more epic than my project @j95! Such a cool goal.
I think, if I were you, I'd start by putting the feelers out in your community to find out what kind of market there is for what you'd like to do. You could pitch your ideas to local Facebook groups etc. I know this happened with a sensory santa idea where I live - someone posted it in a local community page and there was so much support they were able to make it happen!
Mod

[ Edited ]

@j95 This is such a brilliant idea. You're such a thoughtful person. Anyone who has the privilege of working with you will be extremely blessed. Smiley Happy

One thing could be to make a profile on Linkedin. I've been told it's one of the most useful things to do at the beginning of a career. Also a Facebook page for your business maybe?

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod Squad

@j95 finally got to see this thread!

Do you have any contacts in the industry already, kind of be able to ask them these questions as mentors?

Builder

[ Edited ]

@dustb0wldancegreat idea! I'm not part of many of those community groups - so best I find some

@Sally-ROOnly the people I work with and other people in the building industry like carpenters etc but not really many people in landscaping 

@letitgoLinkedIn is a great idea, thanks I'll sign up now. A Facebook page would be good, at this stage it might be more about acheivimg my goal than the actual business itself although I do like the idea

Builder

Wow @j95, this sounds awesome! I don't know anything about starting businesses, but good luck Smiley Tongue

Builder

Thanks @roseisnotaplant it's really just an idea for now Smiley Happy
Builder

@Ngaio-RO tagging you in this after our chat Smiley Happy

Community Manager

This is amazing @j95 Just incredible.

And can I tell you, as someone who has worked in the Community Services Sector for over a decade, you are on to an absolute winner. Both concepts. People are loving this sort of stuff atm, which means there's funding and money around for it.

You've already got some amazing ideas. And don't forget more will come.

I'm gonna add my two cents worth now...

My suggestions are:

to seperate them into two different goals - 

Goal 1 - - Teaching and mentoring children, young people and families in basic garden care to help with mental health issues and general wellbeing.

Goal 2 - Creating sensory and therapeutic gardens for those who especially need an outdoor space to relax

Because goal 1 is something you can start doing by applying for grants / funding / approaching schools, community centres, retirement homes, youth centres, out of home care services and refuges. The list is endless.

Come up with a name then come up with a mission statement and a description of what you do.

Jump online and get an ABN. It's free and you don't need anything more than a name. Once you have that you can start applying for funds and billing people etc.

Look online for services that are doing similar things and read about what they do. Call them and ask how they started. Just make sure you are different enough, either in a different area or offering a slightly different service, so they don'ty feel like you'll be competing for funds.

Start a Facebook page with your new name, description and mission statement. Load up some beautiful pictures of what you hope to achieve. Add all the pages that do similar stuff and then ADD EVERYONE!! Don't ignore the page. Post everyday! Thank people when they like your page. Get out there on Facebook, as your page, and like all the things. Have a read about the basics of social media so you can use it to your advantage. It's a huge part of everything now.

If you can, find a mentor. You don't have to know them. Find people on Facebook or Linkedin, anywhere, and send them an email asking if they'll mentor you. Some will say no but you'll be surprised how supportive people can be. 

Write everything down. You've put it out there, you're going to get bombarded with advice and suggestions. Start making lists. There's all sorts of styles of lists and ordering information. Google some ideas and use whatever works for you. It's just to make sure you don't have to hold it in your head. Keep your head nice and clear by writing everything down.

Don't feel overwhelmed. Rome wasn';t built in a day. All of the advice you're getting, you don't have to do it all today. Use the lists to prioritise what needs to be done first and what is a bigger goal for further down the role. For example, don't worry about applying for grants until you've got everything ready and THEN you ask "how do I do this?"

Well done j95, you've done the hardest bit, you've come up with an amazing idea. Most people don't get that far.

Take a moment to congratulate yourself for that.

Top High Fived Authors