Builder

Surfing!!

I started surfing not too long ago and it has taken over my life. 

My friends surf so I sometimes go out with them, but I do like going by myself (where there is a few people around to rescue me).

This morning I went to this group, where everyone sits down and has a chat about mental health and stuff going on in our lives, then heads into the water. It so cool, to sit with people who sorta get it and then go into the ocean to share waves with them. 

I also just graduated from a foam board to own proper board and I'm waiting to pick mine up from the shop.

Ask me questions about it because it's something that makes me happy and I want to share it with people Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

Re: Surfing!!

Whoa that group sounds amazing @j95, I'm jealous Smiley Happy 

So how did you get into surfing? I imagine you'd have to be a pretty strong swimmer before you start, right? And what's the difference between the foam and proper boards (I mean, in terms of what you can achieve with them. I get the whole 'one is made of foam' bit Smiley Tongue)?

Community Manager

Holy crap that group sounds absolutely amazing @j95 i had no idea that was a thing! Would you be breaching anonymity by telling us the name of the group? Like is it a small organisation, or could you share it without meaning everyone would know where you go?

I have been surfing exactly one time, and i really loved it. I don't own a car anymore so it's tricky to get down to the beach for a surf with a giant board. Also I'm obsessed with spearfishing, so it's like hard to decide to do both... maybe i could surf in flippers and fishing gear though and dive off and catch dinner, then get a wave in. That would be awesome actually.

How do you learn to surf? Can you just like get a board and start practicing?

Builder

[ Edited ]

I love the beach and just thought, I really want to surf, so gave it a go. 

Hmmm you should be a strong swimmer but if you're not, I guess it doesn't really matter that much, as long as you have some swimming ability, can use your arms to paddle out and you're capable of coming back up if you're knocked under, you should be fine. 

Foam boards are proper, but they're beginner boards - larger, better byounacy etc, and they're super soft because fiberglass boards hurt when you get hit by them Smiley Tongue

Basically, the better you get the smaller your board gets, sort of, like you can use smaller ones and have more control when you get more advanced. 

@DruidChild

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Super star contributor

Awesome @j95, are you self taught or did you do lessons? 

You're making me want to learn to surf now Smiley Happy

Builder

@Ben-RO It's not even an organisation just somebody had a really cool idea and decided to run it once a week! I just found out about it on Facebook.

Maybe you could stand up paddle board?? I see people doing that all the time. I guess you could fish and SUP. 

I'm lucky that my friends surf so they showed me the basics, and I also had 2 group lessons with a surf school, now I'm off on my own. I mean, a lot of places just let you rent foamies and a wetsuit so if you've got a basic idea you can go out on your own and try it out - the white wash waves though, don't try the fresh green ones I'm only just getting to them

Builder

I did two lessons and the rest is just from mates and picking it up myself @DruidChild
Super star contributor

I sound like a total noob @j95 but what's the difference between white and green waves...? It sounds awesome, if I can find a beach and rent a board like you said maybe I'll try it out Smiley Happy What's your favourite thing about surfing? 

Builder

@DruidChild White wash - the ones close to shore, straight and already broken.
Green waves - the big ones up the back, unbroken

My favourite thing - getting to wind down and just be in the water away from everyone and everything is awesome, even just sitting on the board waiting for waves is good fun, meet new people
Builder

If you do decided to go out @DruidChild my instructor said a lot of beginners go out too deep to start off and it's hard, so just waist deep at the most, do some research first haha Smiley Tongue
Top High Fived Authors