Builder

Re: Surfing!!

I haven't been surfing that long but did a couple of lessons with a surf school, then borrowed a mates foamie, and now I've got my own hard board.
It's pretty fun! I live in Melbourne so sort of have to travel a bit to any half decent surf beaches, but it makes it worthwhile when there is awesome waves.
@BunnyWalks My mates all surf and have for a while so they're doing barrels and I'm like ah... not yet
Builder

[ Edited ]

On the weekend I volunteered with Disabled Surfers Association and it was the greatest thing!!! Also keep asking me questions because I'm so bored and want to keep talking about surfing haha

Mod Squad

@j95 what'd you do with em Smiley Happy ?

Builder

They had people of all different abilities, a lot with high mobility needs. Anyway, how we did it was we had a I think 4 groups going (there was lots and lots of volunteers!) One participate at a time had a turn and were given a big push down the wave and the rest of the volunteers stood in two lines and gave the board a push or rebalance as they came past or just to be there for the person and give them encouragement. They all layed down and some people depending on their ability and weight had somebody on the back of the board. So I got to 'pilot' which means laying or sitting on the back of the board with some people, to keep it stable and a little more assurance for the participant too. I think they all got like 4 or 5 waves each. A few people even stood up @Bree-RO I think I might bring it up with my sister carers when I see them next because it's such a great initiative. Seeing the smiles on the people's faces was awesome. There was one man who had lost both of his legs and he told us we made his year!! How heartwarming is that.
Mod Squad

@j95 that's so unreal - what an amazing story, so stoked you got involved Smiley Happy

How did you get into it?

Builder

They run it 4 times a summer I think in lots of different locations, it's pretty big @Bree-RO I just saw it online and thought I'd give it a go. It was the last one till next summer though. What an epic day, so many volunteers there helping people smile and have experiences they won't forget. Highly encourage it.
Builder

Omg I haven't surfed myself in ages and I need to asap and I'm just going to keep talking about it/looking at videos/thinking about it until I can get back out there again
Top High Fived Authors