Contributor
florenceforever

Beating the Winter Blues

As we know, winter is now well and truly underway. I am fortunate enough to live in the beautiful state of Tasmania, with vibrant and rich music and arts culture. However I am unfortunate to have to endure the cold winter months Tasmania offers. Yes, the scenic views are to die for and the air is fresh and icy, but I do find that being cold and it getting dark early gets me down sometimes. I've tried ways to cope with this - such as warming myself up! - But my mood sometimes goes unchanged.

So, how do you beat the winter blues?

Please use plain text.
Super frequent scribe
awkwardturtle

Re: Beating the Winter Blues

I absolutely love winter, I love curling up on the couch or in bed with a good book and a hot chocolate :smileyhappy: I also love winter because it gives me an excuse to knit/crochet (yup that makes me sound like an old granny :smileyhappy: )

Please use plain text.
Super frequent scribe
supersky

I like to try to do something active in the morning on cold days, especially if I can meet up with a friend for maybe a walk (even if it's just walking from the train station to class/work). It's easier for me if it's otherwise sunny, because the sun helps me to warm up and get more enthusiastic about the day. If it's still dark, rainy or windy or otherwise not good for walking, it can be good just to get together with a friend for coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

The same thing goes for the middle of the day - just spending a few minutes in the sun if possible (but not too much or I get sunburnt!) and having a warm meal is so much nicer than shivering in the shade.

Please use plain text.
Super frequent scribe
JustThatGirl

I try to see the positives - sometimes a rainy night is the best time to snuggle on the couch/ in bed and watch a movie or read a book (even better if you have someone with you!)

Please use plain text.
Mod
Magga

I have to say I enjoy Winter too, much better than being all hot and unable to sleep! I like to stay in bed and read a book, or watch movies. 

Please use plain text.
Super star contributor
delicatedreamer

I agree with supersky. I find doing something active in the morning (like going for a walk) really helps to cheer me up and get me into the day. I find it so hard to get going on cold mornings, so getting out for a walk really helps motivate me to get started on other things when I get home. Hot drinks (hot chocolate and herbal tea FTW!), dressing warmly (I live in my dressing gown during winter when I'm at home!) and using hot water bottles and blankets help me beat the winter blues too :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Casual scribe
Daisy

I agree with Supersky! My best friend is the Gym during Winter - although it means I have to dragggg myself off the couch/ out of bed, the feeling I get when I have finished my workout during winter is the best! I feel like i've accomplishged somehting and gotten my heart rate up :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Star contributor
Shadow

I curl up on the couch and listen to audiobooks or have a nap! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Mod Squad
Jay-Dee

I'm one for curling up on the lounge too - stay nice and warm and entertain myself with internet/tv/books

Exercise is also great - anything that gets you a bit more active, I find I get so much lazier in winter and it makes you feel a bit more miserable. So getting out and doing more active things gets the endorphins pumping and gets you warmer too :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Super frequent scribe
SNUFFLES

I thrive for heat.......winters, slow me down......plus the snuffles.That's why I call myself snuffles, I am always snuffling all year round!!! hee  hee!!!!  Plus I too often rub my nose on whatever I am working on and I get the classic  black snoz hole!!! As I work with steam trains! Greasy and dirty at times, not the place for people who want their nail polish to last or preserve nails form splitting or breaking!

It's a part of work for me so the split nails and broken nail mean little to me, just bite the broken bit off and spit somewhere and get on with the job!!!! Kero, Turps and all that type solvents are harsh on hands, but that the price I pay if like that type hands on work! Come home stinking of kero or turps! 

Please use plain text.