Star contributor

ED...?

Ok so lately I have been put on a diet by an endocrinologist and that's ok (It mostly cuts out carbs and put in more veggies, which for me is difficult and he also said not to eat if I was hungry - I also need to loose weight through this for health reasons)  but this has been making me wonder about some of my thought patterns and habits I have had in the past which are somewhat concerning. I have lately also seen some stuff on yt that I didn't search for, which has also had me wondering if there is anything to be concerned about. I currently don't have any professional help but it has come up in the past about bingeing, purging and starving urges and behaviours and how these usually related to self harm. However lately I have been noticing myself thinking that "well if I don't eat I'll loose the weight my doctor wants" or I'm going to ignore the hunger and not eat today and If I can keep this up and so on. I have also found myself thinking that if I gave into the urge to turn to alcohol (this is a 'normal' self harm urge for me) I'll just vomit for days and then repeat the cycle. I don't know if this is just self harm talk or something else and I feel like I am just worrying about something that isn't really a solid issue (I'm also worried about offending people who may suffer) but I am also worried that if it continues it could spiral into something worse. Any advice?

Mod

Re: ED...?

Hey @Nat8 :-)

It sounds like you are having thoughts about eating that you are worried might lead to an eating disorder. Is that right? Does the GP and the endocrinologist know about these concerns?

Star contributor

[ Edited ]

@JanaG Yeah that's about right. I can see the patterns but I also worry I am just making it into something from nothing. No nobody else knows. I've only really realised the problem myself.

Mod

Hey @Nat8 Smiley Happy Do you think this is something you could talk to your doctor about?
Star contributor

@May_ I did try to talk to her today about it. She blew me off and didn't say anything and ignored it. Frustrated bc this is whats been happening with all my mental health stuff lately. feel like theres nowhere to go and get taken seriously.

Mod

@Nat8 that is so frustrating. Do you get along with that doctor? Is there any possibility of changing to a doctor that listens to you a bit more?

Butterfly Foundation National Hotline on 1800 33 4673 or online Chat provide support for anyone with questions about eating disorders or body image. Do you think speaking to them could be helpful to you?
Star contributor

@May_ at this rate I kinda feel like a fool so I looked it up the other day but haven't gone back.

With the gp, it goes either way really. one day its all good the next its not. She's not my original doctor, but works in the practice where my original doctor retired from (suddenly) my medical history is really complex too which makes shifting extra difficult

Mod

@Nat8 sorry I'm not sure what you mean, what did you look up?

Hmm it can be really tricky to change, however you should be able to ask the clinic to send your medical history to a new clinic if you want to find a new doctor that is more suited to you.

What do you think the next step could be for you with getting help?
Star contributor

[ Edited ]

@May_ Sorry, I looked up the info to contact the butterfly foundation

At the moment I am only really going for scripts and stuff and once uni is done and I have a better idea I will change if I don't move.

I am not entirely sure. I told my mum today about some of it and thats what she asked and I honestly don't know.

Star contributor

@May_ @JanaG Ok so I not long got off a chat with the butterfly foundation and I spoke to my mum yesterday but I still don't know what to do but it seems I had a right to think it was a problem. Apparently it really is a problem

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count