Rookie scribe

My family want to break me and my girlfriend up because of an argument

I want to know is it right for them to do that im 17 almost 18 and planning to move in with my gf bc my mum and dad hate her and her mum and is that okay if i decided to move to another state to my gfs house bc my whole family are making me break up with gf that ive been with for 6 months and i love my gf so much can i move out once im 18 to my gfs house in another state? bc i dont want to leave her.

Mod

Re: My family want to break me and my girlfriend up because of an argument

Hey @Joker1924 welcome to RO Smiley Happy

Sounds like this decision is really difficult for you. Do you know why your family wants you to break up with your gf?
Mod Squad

Re: My family want to break me and my girlfriend up because of an argument

@Joker1924 it's hard to be definitive about this because you haven't shared details about the situation. Just going with pure logic, nobody can legally force you to break up with someone (as long as being with that person is not violating a law). Families however have a great influence on us and they play a very strong role in our lives. This is especially the case when we're still living with them and/or are dependent on them. You can always call a helpline like Kids Help Line and talk to a counselor in a bit more detail about what you're going through. Perhaps having a discussion about this will help you gain some clarity about what you can and cannot do in this situation. Sometimes fear of disapproval from our families also holds us back from taking steps.

Moving out of your family's home is a pretty big decision and I strongly encourage you to take your time to think about this. Of course if you're going through an abusive situation, then you need to get the right support for that asap.

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count