Super star contributor

Turning Negatives Into Positives

At the suggestion of Lightuptheworld, I thought I'd start another 'Turning Negatives into Positives' thread like there is on the old forum. Below is a quote from Antria who started the thread on the previous forum which I think explains the idea of the thread quite well.

"Sometimes it can be helpful to turn our thinking around and begin to challenge the way we look at things. Turning negatives into positives is a way of doing this! Basically, think of something that happened today, this week, this month or at some other time that felt negative and see if you can find a positive in it (or that came out of it)."

I find posting in this thread really helps me to look at things in a different way or see positives that I might not have noticed if I'm in a negative headspace. I'll start the ball rolling:

Negative: My friend didn't turn up to class this morning and I was worried I would be alone because I don't really know anyone else in the class.

Positive: It gave me a chance to sit with new people and get to know them better Smiley Happy

Over to you!

Youth Ambassador

Re: Turning Negatives Into Positives

Neg: I've been really nervous all day today.

Pos: I got through my job interview. Smiley Happy

Super star contributor

Neg: I only had 4 hours sleep last night.
Pos: I had to get up to meet a friend; it turned out to be a really great day because of it.
Youth Ambassador

Neg: I've had a bad few days study-wise.

Pos: I made a start on an assignment this morning. 

Youth Ambassador

I love this thread Smiley Happy

Negative: I've found myself doing a lot of worrying lately, and it's having quite an impact on my mood.
Positive: I've recognised the problem, and am now trying to focus on just letting things be. Worrying won't really change anything!
Builder

[ Edited ]

So glad this thread was started up again! Thanks DelicateDreamer!

Negative: Stuttered over my words again today...

Positive: I took a deep breath and tried again and suceeded to get the words out Smiley Happy

Negative: I felt so stupid when I muddled up what I tried to say

Positive: I remained calm and tried again

Negative: I'm noticing that when I'm trying to talk to someone new or unfamiliar, about something I'm worried or concerned about or unsure about I get nervous and this causes me to muddle up my words...

Positive: I ave identified when and why I'm muddling up my words. I can reduce this by remaining calm and having a clear image of what I want to say before speak, and picturing myself saying it without any problems

Negative: I missed out on prac this week at TAFE

Positive: I had fun with the first aid course I did,

Negative: I'm a bit worried about my teachers' reaction when I discuss what I'm going to do for this PDH assessment as I've already done my first aid course

Positive: I know I'm over thinking it, it will be fine!

~~ ☆ Be yourself ; Everyone else is already taken ♡ ~~
Star contributor

Bee: When in doubt, take a deep breath and try another route. I get like that if I've been dictating for hours and I'm tired. Saying the words silently to yourself may help especially if you move your mouth.

Neg: The PIP is massive!!! 

Pos: Love mum!!

Neg: What if Mr L says I have to do other stuff??

Pos: Screw him!! I'll be fine! Smiley Very Happy

Builder

@Shadow: Yepp Smiley Happy  I will try to remember that... In total I've done it a heap of times this past few couple weeks... it's so embarasing esp when it's just a general thing like "I wont be here for next class because of..." ; But I know it's just another sign of being over stressed and worried about everythig...

~~ ☆ Be yourself ; Everyone else is already taken ♡ ~~
Youth Ambassador

Some of my friends pray but thats as they are religious , if you aren't I really think you should just evaluate it and start with your problem and look and try to find a bright side becasue there always is one Smiley Happy))

Inspire All Smiley Happy

Star contributor

Neg: As the weather is foul, I didn't want to have to go get my PIP cover sheet + have my teacher critisize my work... again....

Pos: I begged a friend to come get me as I'm hobbling around in a cast and it's exhausting!!

Neg: I find Mr L and he simply asks if I'm OK with my project and hands me the blue cover sheet!! Seriously?? Mum could have saved her money AND time pprinting it off!! MORON!!  

Pos: I got the coversheet!! Smiley Happy 

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors