Super star contributor

Re: first day of prac

How's your chest feeling @N1ghtW1ng? Could you give the Breathe app or something similar a go, if the tight feeling is anxiety related? I'm proud of you for eating something last night Smiley Happy 

Sociocultural studies can be really upsetting. Remember that learning how to teach the next generation of kids is helping to make society a bit of a better place in the future. 

We see your strengths too! Would it help to make a last of things that you feel you are good at? Maybe ju jitsu could head that list? What makes you think that you aren't good at teaching? 

I hope your evening goes okay Heart

Mod

@letitgo ju jitsu is something that I look forward to, although recently I have been feeling like a failure. I'm an assistant instructor and these past couple of nights I've been teaching the orientation program and I've probably been doing a shitty job at it.

I did speak to my psych about my tight chest. She mentioned that she had one person who felt a tight chest when there was no free-following air. But I don't think that's me. I probably should see a doctor about it but I'm scared. I'd have to tell my mum for starters, but if I'm at work this weekend and it gets like it has (it sometimes hurts) then I'll have to tell her. (this'll probably be on sunday when I'm working)

I made it to the end of the day though. Smiley Happy And I rewarded myself with chocolate and buying a slinky. I suppose I could also say I rewarded myself with a puzzle (and headphones) but they've been on my "buy list" for awhile.

I don't think my family really cares about me, with the exception of my parents. Other people just think I'm weird and probably avoid me or be distantly polite so they don't have to get too close.

Well, I think that cleaning/clearing my bed is the most important thing. And the small steps I can take to doing that are one: put away my clothes. two: get rid of the paper. three: put away all my books and uni stuff (probably to my desk Smiley Tongue). figure out a home for what's left.

@DruidChild so good news, I bought proper headphones today. Smiley Happy Hopefully they're not uncomfortable on my ears or head, but honestly I don't totally mind. At least now I have headphones! So many were bluetooth but I don't trust it (especially since my phone and laptop wouldn't connect to each other with bluetooth Smiley Tongue)

The breathe app doesn't really help with my chest. I try out the heart rate thing to and... uh the results are kind of high but it's probably just faulty.
Part of the chest is probably anxiety related, and unconscious-anxiety too (as in I'm not really thinking that I'm anxious but I'm in an anxious situation)

We were talking about different social theories today and I just wanted to smack everyone over the head. Social theories are just society's ways of re-enforcing labelling everything! (although they do have other more important purposes, I just don't hold society in very high regard) Our tutor also asked us what are some socially constructed ideas(or whatever the word was) and I wanted to shout out gender so bad. But anxiety got the better of me Smiley Tongue

A list of things I feel I'm good at? I'll try. (I'll write it down and share later, if I don't, feel free to remind me Smiley Happy)
Mod

@N1ghtW1ng I hope next time you want to share an idea in class you actually do it because gender is a great example of a socially constructed idea.

Chest pains are definitely something to get check out by a doctor just in case! You know how it goes. If you're mate was making the same complaints you'd probably tell them to get checked out also. Even if it meant telling their mum. Which in this case, is your mum. But you did say she cares about you.

I once got "chest pains" after my final shift at my favourite job and I called Nurse On Call and they told me to get to Emergency immediately. So I called a taxi in the middle of the night and headed in. After waiting a few hours and getting some scans done they said it was likely muscle strain but it was good to know at least that it wasn't a heart condition.

Months after though a friend of mine who works in mental health told me I was probably having a panic attack and didn't realise at the time. Looking back I think I've had a few panic attacks and not realised what they were...

I think with the chest breathing stuff and having difficulty managing it, there may be a chance here for you to get more creative with it? I'm just throwing out ideas but rhythm and drumming can sometimes help get breathing back on track, toe-tapping, strumming an instrument, playing with kinetic sand... Do you have any coping strategies that are a bit more out of the box?

Mod

You know... I could be having panic attacks and not realising it @StarLord. It has been something I've thought about but I feel like panic attacks are a "big thing" and I, my problems, don't really qualify as being "big".
Sunday night/Monday is my deadline for telling mum about the chest pains. (this is because that's when I'll be working and I can see whether I get the bad pains/tightness then. If I do, then I tell her, if I don't, then bug me until I do Smiley Tongue)

I really struggle with breathing things a lot because I often have a semi-blocked nose and struggle to breathe. I often end up every couple of minutes or so taking a really deep breath to kind of "recover". Other than a giant breath every so often, my breathing is relatively normal, it's just my chest (which is kind of tightening now, oops) gets really tight. I'm cautious to say that it hurts, but if I'm being honest, it probably does.

This is a terrible thing for me to say, but I don't really have any coping strategies. At least, not any that I identify as coping strategies. I like watching my shows, I read before bed, I like playing with things in my hands (I bought a slinky today for fidgeting! Smiley Very Happy)

If it comes up again (it probably won't) maybe I will mention it. I just didn't really feel like speaking, at all, during class today which was part of the reason why I didn't. I don't really know what I can do.
Although when I'm listening to my travel music (transformers soundtracks) I speak (in my head of course) in time with the beats, also walking and tapping my feet Smiley Tongue
Doesn't have much to do with breathing but it does help relax me so it's something I guess.
(it actually kind of riles me up but a good riled up, whatever the word for that is because it's good, up beat music and I like it Smiley Happy It makes me feel dramatic Smiley Tongue)
Super star contributor

Did you have prac today @N1ghtW1ng? I hope this week has started off well for you Smiley Happy How are the chest pains doing?

Mod

It's every Wednesday @DruidChild. And, um, the chest pains are alright I guess. It's all the same really, it's more tightness than actual pain, it's mostly bearable, it's just something that's there so it's something I've gotten used to.

This week was actually alright. At least until half an hour ago. I finished more of my puzzle, arrived at uni mostly on time (but no traffic! Smiley Very Happy)
Now I'm feeling rather sad (and lonely, but whatever right? Smiley Tongue)

Thanks for asking Smiley Happy
Super star contributor

Oh right, sorry I didn't realise that! Smiley Happy I remember one time you suggested to me that I use a heat pack on my chest to help with anxiety, is that something that would be helpful to you? 

I'm really glad your week's been going okay. Smiley Happy It's the best when there's no traffic! Can we help with the sad and loneliness at all? 

Mod

@DruidChild I've never tried it (although it's been something that nags at my head) but I'm often not in a position to do that, especially when it gets bad, so it's not much of an option.

The sad and loneliness is just a constant at uni (and pretty much all the time) because I basically have no friends and it hurts sometimes. The reason why it's come back on is because I was chatting to someone, clearly trying to open up conversation and hoping to chill with her like last week between tuts but she headed off to catch up with other people and I just. Okay. Whatever, I wasn't trying to talk to you or anything, so bye. Or not. *sighs* Not like anyone really cares anyway, right? Or at least, that's how it feels. I know at least my parents care about me, but if they weren't my parents, they wouldn't. Just like everyone at uni, they don't care about me. I'm just a person they might chat to or sit next to but it's not like we're friends or anything. I'm just another person.

I tell myself that I don't mind being by myself but in truth, I do mind. At least, I do mind because it feels like I HAVE to be by myself, not that I WANT or I've CHOSEN to be by myself, I don't have much of a choice because no one will be with me. Smiley Sad

Mod

Hey @N1ghtW1ng, have you spoken to your parents about your chest pain? Sending you heaps of courage. Also, a slinky is an awesome way to treat yourself! I also really love yo-yos! Smiley Very Happy

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

I'm sorry that girl at uni was so inconsiderate! I promise you not everyone is like that, and you will find a person/people that you click with and who appreciate you for exactly who you are. Heart

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe

Do you need support?

ReachOut NextStep is a tool that can help you find the best support for you.

Open tool in sidebar
Top High Fived Authors