Highlighted
Builder

Bullying

Bullying is an important topic because it is huge problem that has negative affects on all parties involved including perpertrators, victims and even bystanders. This Friday the 18th of March is National Anti-Bullying Day so from then on we'll be having a chat about it here. 

There is lots of different types of bullying, some of them being not very obvious to onlookers, so I'd like to ask 

what different types of bullying are you aware of? Which one do you think happens the most?  

Looking forward to hearing everybodys answers Smiley Very Happy

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Post Mod

Re: Bullying

Love it, @j95!

As we are on an online forum, I feel like that is a good example to start with (even though our community here is the opposite of bullying!!)

Online bullying is a type that has really taken off unfortunately, especially now that we have laptops, phones and so many other different platforms to communicate through without needing to be sitting at a computer. I thin online bullying is quickly overtaking physical bullying!
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle
Mod

hey @j95 This is awsome!!

There are so many types of bullying, subtle kinds like excluding people, making them feel left out or things much more obvious like calling people names, physically hurting them or make them feel beneath you. There's also bullying over the internet which happened to me when I was in high school, words can be really quite hurtful and I think they can really change someone as a person - change how they feel about themselves. I think bullying also changes as you get older like in the workplace it can be different but still present.

That's all ill say for now I think but really looking forward to this discussion!

Mod

Awesome thread @j95! Smiley Very Happy

What different types of bullying are you aware of? Which one do you think happens the most?
There's online bullying, verbal bullying(which can include emotional/mental since verbal would be picking on things that would make people feel hurt) and physical bullying. Then there are the things that they do like @Stealth_ninja mentioned such as excluding people.
Around school age, I think it varies. I don't really know which one would happen more but I think as people get older, online bullying would become a little more prominent. What with facebook, twitter and such.
Actually, you could argue that online bullying is much, much worse because people bully each other without physically knowing each other. So someone might say something and then be 'attacked' online. So all these people are, technically, bullying this one person and I doubt that many of those people would actually know the person.
Staff

Great topic.

Also ReachOut has this great video

Mod

This is such a great thread! Well done @j95 Smiley Happy

what different types of bullying are you aware of? Which one do you think happens the most?  

As peole have already noted earlier in the thread, there's are differences in what kind of bullying takes place and where it takes place. In terms of the "IRL" bullying, it could range anywhere from relatively low level verbal bullying to severe physical bullying. Online bullying is definitely a whole thing to itself and I would think it's become the most common in the last few years, unfortunately it's a lot easier for people to get away with saying things online that they would never think to say face to face. 

Super frequent scribe

What different types of bullying are you aware of? Which one do you think happens the most?

I'm aware of physical, emotional and cyber bullying which is clearly linked to your emotions as well. 

Something that I don't hear of that often but have experienced for myself is 'silent' bullying. It's where the bully uses rumours to turn friends away from the victim, making them isolated and more vulnerable to quiet comments. 

I think that cyber bullying happens the most because people can say anything anonymously, usually without any consequences. Also physical bullying has become a common theme in the news because of videos that are surfacing on social media etc...

Builder

I loved reading everybodys replies to this question, I've had such a busy few days I haven't been to able to answer the question or post a new one. 

- Physical (pushing, hitting, kicking etc)

- Cyber bulling (using the internet or other technology to cause harm)

- Verbal (teasing, name calling)

- Social bullying, which @KiKi_19 describe as silent bullying. (ignoring, excluding, spreading rumours) 

I think cyber bullying is the most common nowadays. You can't escape from cyber bullying and it follows you home. I always found when I was a kid that if I went home, I was away from the people who bullied me at school, but now just about every child has an ipad or some sort of device where they can be reached 24/7. 

I also think that silent bullying is pretty huge and can be difficult to put a stop to, because its not as obvious. Sometimes people feel like they won't be taken seriously if they are being bullied in this way. 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Builder

Now that I've replied to question 1, its time for question number 2!! 

Why do you think people bully others? 

Post Mod

Why do you think people bully others?

I think it stems from a lack of control in their lives, so having control over someone else can give that control back. It's horrible, but it's true a lot of the time in my opinion.

we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle