Highlighted
Staff

Can you help us do some research?

Hey everyone! My name is Kat and I work in the research team here at RO. My job is basically to collect feedback from the people that use our service about:

• Their experience of using ReachOut –  How do they find it? Do they think it helps them? and
  • How could we improve the service so it better meets their needs?

This means I’m really keen to hear from people like you, pretty much all of the time, but especially right now, because – SHAMELESS PLUG – it’s Annual Survey time!

What’s in it for me you say? Well I’m glad you asked! ☺

First and foremost, this survey is a chance for you to have your say about the ReachOut experience you want. You’re some of our most active and engaged users, and that makes your opinion super important. The research team work really hard to make sure the feedback you give us is taken on-board and used to make the service even better. In other words by completing the survey – the ReachOut you know and love can be made even more awesome.

As an added bonus, by participating you’ll also be entered into a draw to win 1 of 30 JB HiFI, Coles/Myer or iTunes gift vouchers to the value of $100 – Huzzah!

So please, have your say and participate in the survey by clicking on this link

It will take you about 10-15 minutes to complete and you can do it whenever you want before the 3rd of July.

I also wanted to let you know that we'd like to do a bit of research about how the forums are going. We'd call this an evaluation and basically it's a way of looking at how the forums have changed over time, what's working well, and what we could do better. I want to know what YOU think we should focus on, so to help me understand that, i'd like to have a bit of a chat about that.

So here's a bunch of questions to get you started.

1. How long have you been a part of the community on RO and how has it changed in the time you've been here?

2. What are the ingredients that make the community a place you want to be a part of?
e,g, good support, fun, weird memes.

Builder

Re: Can you help us do some research?

How long have you been a part of the community on RO and how has it changed in the time you've been here?

Nine or ten months (or however long it's been since September Smiley Tongue). I don't think the site has necessarily changed a bunch, but I've definitely changed a bunch thinking about it, which is pretty cool. I know a lot more about how to look after myself and others which I've found really valuable to apply to my real life, as well as getting to know people on here (well, as well as you can get to know an anonymous person through text, but you know what I mean).

What are the ingredients that make the community a place you want to be a part of?

• Good support.
  • Fun.
  • Weird memes (looking at you, @FootyFan26 Smiley Tongue).
  • Knowing who people are is really important in building a strong community. It's much less scary getting a reply from someone you've joked around with on a hanging out thread than someone you don't know at all, especially when you're dealing with something tough.
  • Being respectful and well moderated. This is a corner of the internet that feels safe, free from the horrors commonly associated YouTube comments sections or Twitter Smiley Tongue
  • The belief that we will make it to 1,000,000. (Because we will. Obvs.)
  • I like hanging out live with people during GRs and stuff, that really builds a sense of community.
Staff

Thanks @roseisnotaplant - this is awesome! It sounds like the sense of connection and friendship you feel with others in the community is an important part of what makes the forums a safe space for when you're going through something tough. You mentioned memes and GR's as examples of things that help to build that sense of connection - can you think of any other things that help?

Anyone else feel free to jump in too with ideas about what builds that sense of community in an online environment Smiley Happy

Community Manager

@j95 @redhead @scared01 @N1ghtW1ng @lokifish @Eden1717 @DirtWitch

As people who know a lot about the community i thought i might sling you a tag. Also tag anyone else you think might have an interesting perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stuff that's happening on the forums:
Mod

Oh awesome. I'm on my phone right now but I'll defs share my thoughts when I'm on the computer next Smiley Happy

Also think you missed tagging @DruidChild and @FootyFan26 Smiley Tongue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

I might need some time, haven't been feeling the greatest recently.

Thanks for the tag @lokifish. @roseisnotaplant I'm more into puns than memes Smiley Wink
Builder

@Kat-RO I think the games threads have a similar sort of role in that it's a chilled out space for fun stuff, which is super helpful for a) joking around with people, and b) distractions if you're dealing with tough things atm.
Star contributor

Ive done the survey @Kat-RO @Ben-RO
Will answer these questions later when i can
Mod

Ok so I'm at my computer now Smiley Very Happy

1. How long have you been a part of the community on RO and how has it changed in the time you've been here?

I've been here for a looooong time, since before this version of the forums even existed Smiley Tongue The community has definitely grown enormously in the time I've been here. It's also become normal to make a shitload of posts on here and to actually stick around, whereas before people used to be much more shy Smiley Tongue

2. What are the ingredients that make the community a place you want to be a part of?

• Everyone feeling supported and respected
  • Promoting autonomy and independence, rather than trying to jump in with what you think "should" happen
  • Being receptive to feedback and people admitting when they done fucked up
  • Getting the right balance between freedom of expression and some sort of moderation. Otherwise the forums would probably descend into anarchy Smiley Tongue
  • Community building activities - like others have mentioned, it's often nice to get a break from tough times stuff. It gives you a chance to actually become friends with other users. Ultimately it's the friendships I've formed here which are the reason I keep coming back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Mod

Also thought I'd tag some fellow mods who are fairly active on here Smiley Happy

@letitgo @May_ @SmileMonkey @stonepixie @RevzZ

Top High Fived Authors