cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 30 Aug: Special guest: Olympic gold medalist Libby Trickett

Definitely important to remember the positives and be confident and proud of the hard work that you do. Peeps can be mean..

I like how she has said she remembers how hard she has worked and she focuses on that! I think that's a good point to remember. Who cares what others think, as long as you know you've tried your best!!! She definitely had some great advice and I think I'll look back on this video at times when my confidence is a bit low!

Yea definitely Paulie - I'm trying remember to pat myself on the back more and remind myself of the the things I can actually do pretty well! I'm learning to drive - so I need to stay positive about my mad driving skills!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Woop! <--- that's for yo mad driving skillz. I'm learning to surf. Every time I wipeout I need to think of the three good waves I've caught in my life Smiley Tongue

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

I'll look back on this video at times when my confidence is a bit low!

Good idea! She definitely has a really positive energy about her... It's infectious.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Patting yourself on the back is definitely needed at times!! Smiley Happy

R U OK?Day is about encouraging all people to look out for friends, family and teachers by regularly asking them ‘are you ok?’ and then listening to the answer. What are some of the signs to look out for to know if a friend might need your support?

One thing I took away quite early in Libby's video was about spending time with family and friends to help stay positive, especially before a big event.

Bringing others into your "huddle" is a really great way to keep yourself positive and to give you that extra perspective that you need, especially when you might be having some weird thoughts that, when held up to reality, probably don't make much sense in the first place. Smiley Happy

mischiefmanaged wrote:

R U OK?Day is about encouraging all people to look out for friends, family and teachers by regularly asking them ‘are you ok?’ and then listening to the answer. What are some of the signs to look out for to know if a friend might need your support?

We're moving into the "who will you ask" part of the discussion now - there are a bunch of great resources on the R U OK?Day website that you can download, or watch their videos!

Check it out here

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

Patting yourself on the back is definitely needed at times!! Smiley Happy

Hey guys, thought I'd jump on this discussion.  When I was watching Libby getting drilled with questions in the media during the Olympics, I thought she had wonderful poise and grace with her answers.  Sometimes they get too personal and it's a matter of telling them as much as they need to know.

If it's a good friend, their body language and how they react on a day to day basis is a huge indicator if somethings up.  You can just tell...and that's pretty much my cue to see if I can do anything for them.  Even if it's as simple as listening.

Highlighted

Signs to look out for are things like if they start withdrawing from things they like to do or their behaviour changes in some way. They might not be smiling or laughing as much or just look really tired all the time. At school, they might also start not handing in things on time or being super stressed! Asking if they are okay is a great thing to do. Smiley Happy And I definitely agree that we need to listen to the answer!