cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 30 Aug: Special guest: Olympic gold medalist Libby Trickett

I agree that spending time with family and friends helps us stay positive, but sometimes negative comments can cause us to withdraw... I guess someone withdrawing from their family or friend groups can also be sign that something's up!

Welcome sagira. Smiley Happy

Body language is an awesome indicator!! Some people say something changes in a person's eyes when they are not feeiing too crash hot - I definitely think this is true to some degree.

@_sagira_ wrote:
If it's a good friend, their body language and how they react on a day to day basis is a huge indicator if somethings up.  You can just tell...and that's pretty much my cue to see if I can do anything for them.  Even if it's as simple as listening.

I really like this point, _sagira_.

Some people, when they're feeling down or if something is up, tend to hide away a bit, though. That's a good indicator itself but also makes it a bit harder to see if something's wrong. If someone you see regularly isn't around as much, ask them what's up!

And if you're feeling like you need to be asked yourself, get out and see people you know rather than hiding away.

@_sagira_ wrote:

Hey guys, thought I'd jump on this discussion.  When I was watching Libby getting drilled with questions in the media during the Olympics, I thought she had wonderful poise and grace with her answers.  Sometimes they get too personal and it's a matter of telling them as much as they need to know.

If it's a good friend, their body language and how they react on a day to day basis is a huge indicator if somethings up.  You can just tell...and that's pretty much my cue to see if I can do anything for them.  Even if it's as simple as listening.

Hey sagira! Yea I guess you have to be pretty mentally fit to be able to deal with the media like that!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Lex wrote:

And if you're feeling like you need to be asked yourself, get out and see people you know rather than hiding away.

I know that get really, really quiet.  So if there is a huge shift in someones behaviour, that's a sign as well.

Sounds like we all think body language is a good indicator that we might need to check in with a friend... When is a good time to have an ‘are you ok?’ chat?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

When is a good time to have an ‘are you ok?’ chat?

I believe that if someone really wants to talk, they will start  by trying to tell you what's going on.  It's about encouraging them, but not being intrusive and maybe asking them questions, so they don't feel overwhelmed with where to start.

@sagira: true. I always try and make sure they're somewhere they feel comfortable and private too. that can help with not feeling overwhelmed

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO wrote:

When is a good time to have an ‘are you ok?’ chat?

If I'm the one needing the chat, the sooner the better. I don't usually reveal anything *during* the chat but it makes me reflect on myself a bit later. That's usually the booster I need to get myself back on track.

Because of that, I'm not afraid to ask someone straight up, as soon as I see them, if everything is okay. But only if we're alone. I don't want them to feel embarrassed in front of others.

Maybe someone else can give me some advice there: am I doing something wrong by asking straight away?

@Sophie-RO wrote:

Sounds like we all think body language is a good indicator that we might need to check in with a friend... When is a good time to have an ‘are you ok?’ chat?

Definitely not anywhere which will make either of you feel uncomfortable. So somewhere quiet and away from other people who might overhear. I think in a nice park or in a quiet corner at school during lunch. It's got to be comfortable for both and not somewhere that others can walk in on you! You don't want to be interrupted! But if you are really concerned just do it whereever you can! It's better to check in with them and they be a bit embarassed then for anything bad to happen to them!