cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 30 Aug: Special guest: Olympic gold medalist Libby Trickett

@Lex wrote:

@Sophie-RO wrote:

When is a good time to have an ‘are you ok?’ chat?

If I'm the one needing the chat, the sooner the better. I don't usually reveal anything *during* the chat but it makes me reflect on myself a bit later. That's usually the booster I need to get myself back on track.

Because of that, I'm not afraid to ask someone straight up, as soon as I see them, if everything is okay. But only if we're alone. I don't want them to feel embarrassed in front of others.

Maybe someone else can give me some advice there: am I doing something wrong by asking straight away?

Reflecting later on is a really great point! If you ask someone and they don't really respond, this is a great thing to remember! Smiley Happy

Being aware of embarassment is important but I definitely think it's best to ask whenever you can if you are really concerned!

@Sophie, it's all about environment and comfort factor for both of you.  It feels right, then go for it.

Also it can sometimes be hard to know if someone is screaming inside and all they want to do is talk.  I am very, very good at putting on an 'everything's cool' facade.  Sometimes you need to be attuned to peoples signals, with their subtle hints etc.

@lex: there is definitely something to be said to stopping little problems becoming big ones. Sometimes we just feel like something's not right, and it can be figured out early on with a chat with a friend who really listens. I think getting in early can be good in most cases... I'm sure that you're very non-confrontational about it!!! Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@_sagira_ wrote:

Also it can sometimes be hard to know if someone is screaming inside and all they want to do is talk.  I am very, very good at putting on an 'everything's cool' facade.  Sometimes you need to be attuned to peoples signals, with their subtle hints etc.

Ah yes! The "everything's cool" facade, it's quite a skill huh! Smiley Happy It can get exhausting after awhile though. I think we can all relate to that one at some stage in our lives..

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Sophie-RO wrote:

@_sagira_ wrote:

Ah yes! The "everything's cool" facade, it's quite a skill huh! Smiley Happy It can get exhausting after awhile though. I think we can all relate to that one at some stage in our lives..

Yeah I have to agree with this. I am very very good at keeping up a facade if I need to. And if that doesn't work, I'm really good at dismissing the issue or coming up with something like making a joke to change the subject.

Persistence is the key with me. I'm like a piñata… it'll take more than just one jab, but once you've cracked me open, all the goodies will come tumbling out! Smiley Wink

Well it's been a little quieter tonight, but there are a bunch of resources about the "who will you ask" idea here. There is even this video which shows you how a conversation might go in an ideal world!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Lex wrote: Yeah I have to agree with this. I am very very good at keeping up a facade if I need to. And if that doesn't work, I'm really good at dismissing the issue or coming up with something like making a joke to change the subject.

Persistence is the key with me. I'm like a piñata… it'll take more than just one jab, but once you've cracked me open, all the goodies will come tumbling out! Smiley Wink

Oh, Lex the Pinata - maybe that should be your new avatar! Full of lollies!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Lex wrote:

Yeah I have to agree with this. I am very very good at keeping up a facade if I need to. And if that doesn't work, I'm really good at dismissing the issue or coming up with something like making a joke to change the subject.

haha...Lex I love your anaolgy.  It's so true.  It's like you're just waiting for someone to show enough interest so you can start!

Hey guys,

Wasn't it great to hear Libby answer our question??

Tonight we discussed how body language can be important in knowing when others are not feeling okay, we also discussed how important it is to put things into perspective and remember that other people's opinions don't matter, as long as we are happy with what we did or who we are! We also discussed how it's best to ask someone if they are okay, in a private, comfortable location.

Thanks so much for a great discussion guys!

See you next time!

MM.

Thanks for joining in the discussion guys, it's always good to have a reminder to about challenging negative thoughts. Just being conscious of avoiding turning negativity out there in the world into thoughts about ourselves.

R U OK?Day is next month so I hope these resources might help us all have those 'check ins' with mates... we'll have another discussion next month to see how you went asking "are you OK"?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com