cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Advocacy - Ask a Pro Live with Bre August 29th 2019

@Bre-RO it's been awesome getting the chance to hear more about you and the amazing work that you have done/ continue to do! Smiley Very Happy Heart 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a live Getting Real chat to do with Self-positivity, on Monday the 21st of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Thank you so much @Bre-RO it has been so awesome to get to know you better and hear about your experience and your amazing insights and tips!

Thank you to everyone that participated 

@ecla34 @WheresMySquishy @Hozzles @xXLexi_Lou122Xx 

That's a wrap, can't wait to see how the discussion progresses over the next few days Heart

cheer.gif

Thanks for making time to take part @WheresMySquishy 

I loved reading the chat replies!

But my question wasn’t answered...
What is advocacy?

// Nothing is impossible. The word itself says “I’m Possible” //

Hey @xXLexi_Lou122Xx - Happy you were able to read through the responses! 

Thanks for bringing up your question as we weren't able to get through them all. 

To answer your question.. 

Advocacy is a broad term. Simply put - Advocacy is an act that is undertaken by an individual or group on behalf of another individual or group. Usually the intent is to influence a beneficial outcome. There are also types of advocacy - self advocacy is when you advocate for yourself and individual advocacy is when someone else provides the advocacy. 

Feel free to shoot through anymore questions you may have Smiley Happy 

Thank you @Bre-RO.

Basically like teens standing up for the shooting at school in America?

Video is called March For Our Lives on Facebook.

// Nothing is impossible. The word itself says. “I’m Possible” //

@xXLexi_Lou122Xx  Yes! Exactly - that's a great example of political advocacy. A group of people coming together to advocate on behalf of other citizens (and their own) safety. 

Highlighted

aww I really wanted to be here for this Smiley Sad but it was good reading through here.
thanks for this chat @Bre-RO
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Loving reading back through this conversation! 

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

@Bre-RO wrote:

To give a bit of my background and why advocacy is so important to me. I grew up in a family where there was lots of need for advocacy. My parents both struggled to keep our family above the poverty line and for a long time having a career or studying didn’t seem possible. I hadn’t seen anyone on either side of my family go to university or anything so it felt unattainable. 

I’m proud that I believed in myself and chose to work in the community sector because it meant that I had an insight into what some of the people I work with are going through. Being in the position to advocate for someone to have a cheaper electricity bill or wiping someones massive telephone debt for them felt like a win. I've often thought about how I'd hope my mum was treated when she needed lots of help when I was little. So that's why advocacy is so important to me Heart 

So lovely to hear more about you and your background @Bre-RO Heart 

The response quoted above really touched me while reading this, and I wanted to thank you for being honest and sharing this with us. Furthermore, for pursuing your goal and using your experience to help others, your passion really shows through your writing.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart