cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ask A Pro Live: Creativity

That is so hopeful @Ngandabaa I think it would be comforting for a lot of people to know that no matter how low you get, there are still things you can do to tell your story through art. 

Highlighted

Agree 100%
Art is so individual, it is your story, your feelings. You can be creative at your lowest and highest points which I believe is a very beautiful thing and gives me a lot of hope Smiley Happy
Highlighted

And the amazing thing is, you can help other people through their life experiences through your unique expression of what has happened in your life Smiley Happy 

Would it be okay if you share a painting of yours with us here? and maybe tell us a thing or two about the piece? 

Highlighted

0E22CA4C-06E9-450C-98F7-FD6F0EAC3865.JPG

So this painting was actually a commission for a surprise birthday present Smiley Happy

The daughter had organised this and it shows their family tree and connection to each other. It was the father and his two daughters in the middle and then their extended family is the outer circles with the connection (song) lines Smiley Happy 

It shows that even though they aren't always together, they are still connected and loved Smiley Happy Which is such a beautiful thing, I love this artwork Smiley Happy Really proud of how it turned out (I can be hard on myself with my artworks, but this piece really makes me smile) Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Ngandabaa  What a nice story! I love the detail in that picture. Smiley Happy You did a wonderful job with it!

Highlighted

That is sooo special, thanks so much for sharing that @Ngandabaa  What a beautiful present that I'm sure is very treasured Heart 

Highlighted

kanye west genius GIF

Not everyone is as confident as Kanye! I know I definitely struggle to let my creative juices flow when I can tend to want everything I create to be "perfect". We had a member who asked a question around this... 

What can you do if mental health is hindering creativity (e.g. by perfectionism)?

Highlighted

I would suggest a couple of things

- Utilise music, find music that puts you in the right headspace such as instrumentals and also music you haven’t listened to before
- To use scaffolds and templates. This really helps if you are a bit of a perfectionist like my - self. I will sketch all my designs out first. Remember that art isn’t perfect and its okay if your first draft is a little rough. The beauty of art is that it is unique and that’s the best part about it

The main point is that art isn't meant to be perfect and that's actually my favourite part about it Smiley Happy
If I am struggling with it, I'll pick one part of it that I like. I'll sit there and appreciate that part, you'll find that once you see one small beauty it'll open your eyes up to more Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@Ngandabaa  That's so true that art doesn't have to be perfect. A lot of beautiful crafts and artworks are actually designed to be imperfect or asymmetric. Some Japanese designs come to mind.

Highlighted

@Ngandabaa Making art is a really good exercise for not listening to that inner-critic! As you said, art is not meant to be perfect. The main thing is how it makes you feel!

I really like your tip around using templates to get you going! Also, music is so helpful for getting you into a creating zone. I always listen to music if I'm writing something Smiley Happy Do you have any favorite music to listen to while painting? 

Just reading that wiki link now @WheresMySquishy so interesting!