cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ask a Pro Live: Navigating the Mental Health System October 2019

@WheresMySquishy wrote:

@Jess1-RO  I agree that headspace has helped a lot of young people since it started. In my area, I have seen a few other mental health clinics and spaces for young people pop up.

I also agree about the value of lived experience! I have been lucky enough to attend a few talks with people sharing their lived experience of a mental health issue and found them so informative.

That is so great to hear you are also finding services popping up in your area to support young people! 

I think this is where our online community is so powerful in sharing lived experience, here we also have a collective voice to inform, educate and encourage change whether it is at an individual level, community level or systemic level Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Have you navigated the mental health system? And if you have found gaps, how did you manage to navigate around the gaps and find support?
Yes, I have. I have also helped other people navigate it.

I encountered a gap where my psychologist didn't know how to treat me at one stage and wanted me to see a psychiatrist, but it was a hassle to get a referral and appointment. I saw my school psychologists and used helplines in the meantime. But the psychiatrist ended up being really helpful and recommended a different type of therapy that helped me better. We have also had to address our concerns with another practitioner and push for a second opinion for one of my family members, but it took months before they were seen by someone more experienced.

Highlighted

Sarah Silverman Wow GIF by HULU

I think you're spot on @Jess1-RO - there's always work to be done when it comes to improving access to services and treatment. The good news is that there are people like yourself, working so hard to create change. I think a lot of us agree that mental health awareness plays a pretty large role in paving a more understanding society and mental health system.

Which leads me to our next question - This next question comes from a member who is interested to hear about how they can overcome stigma to speak about how they are feeling and seek help.

What are your thoughts on mental health awareness and stigma? 

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO I really like the way you phrased your response Heart that even though there are so many gaps, things are getting better and people's voices are being given space to be heard 

Have you navigated the mental health system? And if you have found gaps, how did you manage to navigate around the gaps and find support?

I have had experiences with the mental health system several times through a mental health care plan, but i've got an unfortunate tendency to just stop therapy rather than looking for other services when things haven't been as helpful as I'd hoped. And i do regret that!

Something i've witnessed though with friends (and family) is that a lack of information has prevented them from going further than just seeing their GP and getting proper help. One of my closest friends was made aware last week of multiple services and rebates she was elligible for that she'd never even heard of, and she's been in the mental health system for years. It's mind boggling! 

Another huge gap I feel is the lack of proper mental health understanding in emergency services, such as the ER. I've taken a friend to the ER recently in a mental health crisis, and I'm still fuming. They were nice enough (thank goodness) but so so uninformed Smiley Sad It broke my heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Live Getting Real chat to do with Friendship Drama on Monday the 17th of Feb, 7:30 pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Such powerful experiences @WheresMySquishy! Heart I really love that you thought outside the box and managed to address a gap between seeking services by using other resources such as helplines. There are so many different approaches to mental health support, and it sounds like seeing the psychiatrist helped you find what works for you! 

Awesome Thumbs Up GIF by Koodo

How did you find the experience of helping a family member navigate the health system? Did you find it easier or harder to navigate on behalf of someone else?

Highlighted

I think you have raised a really important point @ecla34 that there is so much out there, but education about what you can access isn't always visible. Education around navigating the mental health system can really help to find all the hidden pathways that exist, but maybe aren't well known! This is where local GPs can be a great starting point too!

I've seen a lot of organisations run groups to help community members access the supports in their local areas, which I think is a great idea!

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO  It was somewhat easier because we did not have to do our research to find a psychologist with experience in their particular issues like we did with my psychiatrist, because the psychologist they ended up seeing was working with their psychiatrist and they seemed to be on the same page with regard to diagnosis and treatment. But it was also frustrating because the psychologist and psychiatrist could not see them as often as we would have liked compared to who was treating them before, and they need ongoing support.

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO  that's really awesome!
Recently I volunteered at a symposium that was aimed at informing people working in and with the mental health system about all of the services and pathways available in a certain area part of the city, after the introduction of the NDIS. It was honestly so amazing to see, and really encouraging! Heart I think it was encouraging for everyone else there too, to be honest. It really aimed at helping to bridge the gap between different services, which I think is so so important! Smiley Very Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Live Getting Real chat to do with Friendship Drama on Monday the 17th of Feb, 7:30 pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

What are your thoughts on mental health awareness and stigma? 

Increasing mental health awareness and helping to break down stigma to have open and honest conversations is so important, and I agree this should be a priority. When we speak to young people on the forums who are thinking about speaking up about their mental health, fear of being judged or others not understanding is up there with one of the biggest reasons for not seeking help!

There is a big role for schools, families and communities, and i definitely feel that mental health awareness and literacy is increasing globally! The work of anti-stigma campaigns have been really important, but there is also things we can all do!

By talking about mental health and making it a conversation that we have with our friends, family and community, we can help to educate others and them know we are a safe person to talk about mental health with. Sharing your story and offering a piece of your experience can help others feel comfortable, or even checking in! You never know when your compassion and courage to share your experiences may inspire someone else to speak up too Heart

Chibird GIF

@ecla34  I think the lack of information to do with mental health rebates can be so frustrating at times, especially when staff are also disorganised or not trained properly. Once, staff at my psychologist's lost my mental health care plan or didn't process it (or both), which resulted in me turning up only to have no way of paying for a session. As my psychologist had moved, it was a long way from my house too. That was a bad day. Smiley Sad