cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ask a Pro Live: Navigating the Mental Health System October 2019

@Jess1-RO I'm having a look through those directories and they look amazing!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

So great to hear @ecla34! If you google Primary Health Network and your location, there are also some pockets of brilliance happening at a local level to connect people with services in their area Smiley Happy Some Primary Health Networks (the people who allocate government funding in your local area to community health services) have their own navigation tools or atlases of services too!

Check out our community activities calendar here

I might also throw this question to the community.

Have you had experience of developing a Mental Health Care Plan? And if so, what advice do you have for someone who may be thinking of seeking mental health support through this avenue?

Thanks! @Jess1-RO  I'm just catching up on the thread! It's really enlightening to learn more about how mental health plans/treatment plans work here in Aus since I have no idea about how they work here!

@Jess1-RO I totally relate when you say all the options can be overwhelming. I know it's taken me a long time to figure out what I need to do to stay mentally well. It's also an ongoing thing that I'll have to do for the rest of my life. Sometimes that can be an overwhelming thing to accept and come to terms with. I've found at times when there are long wait-lists and I'm tired of taking traditional routes to address what's going on for me, thinking outside the box helps. 

Everyone is different but for me finding a community helps, getting involved in some kind of creative pursuit, exercising in some way. The experiences and relationships you have can be therapeutic and for me seeking that out has been really helpful. 

There are areas of the health system that we can’t deny need improvement. A part of acknowledging everyone's experiences is bringing up that there times when service delivery falls short for a number of reasons. It’s complex to get into but what we’d like to say about this is that there are ways of advocating for yourself and exercising choice.

We'll be putting together a list of ways you can contact local members, blogs to write about your experiences and committees to join if that's your thing. We want to acknowledge here that sometimes you're doing everything you can and it feels like you're not getting anywhere. We had a question about this: 

What should I do if my current treatment isn’t working?

Could not agree more @Bre-RO! I love your suggestion of "thinking outside the box"; mental wellbeing is broad and there are so many therapeutic areas you can build on to support recovery alongside seeing mental health professionals!

What should I do if my current treatment isn’t working?

Every person is unique, which means that what they need, what works and what doesn’t will also be unique! If something is not working for you, I would recommend having a conversation about what is working and not working with your mental health professionals, and supporters. Your recovery is about you, and it is 100% to say something is not working for you.

Sometimes a different approach, different treatments or a combination of things can make a big impact!

Art Life GIF by Chibird
The good thing is that mental health and wellbeing is so broad, and there are so many different treatment approaches available. As @WheresMySquishy mentioned earlier, sometimes changing it up and seeing someone new can help you find new approaches that work for you!

Thank you to everyone who has joined us tonight Heart We don't have long left so I'm going to throw a few questions up that we have. I look forward to reading more of the communities thoughts on Navigating the Mental Health System. 

What improvements would you like to see in the mental health system in the future?

What apps are available to help me navigate the health system?

Have you had experience of developing a Mental Health Care Plan? And if so, what advice do you have for someone who may be thinking of seeking mental health support through this avenue?
I have had a mental health care plan and one of my family members has had one too.
My advice would be to ensure that you know what is in it and that there is communication between you and your doctor about it. My doctor at the time unfortunately never really communicated to me about the contents of my plan or explained anything about it and I didn't realise this wasn't the norm until later on. I now have another doctor whom I know and trust better, which I think has been helpful.
Also ask your doctor to let you know when they are sharing your plan with others or communicating with your psychologist.

I think I have three top tips from my experience when I felt a treatment or approach isn't working for me:

1. Try and have an open and honest discussion with your support system about what works and doesn't work for you
  2. It can be really helpful to understand the difference between mental health professionals so that you can see the sorts of support available to you!
  3. Don't be afraid to try something new. Many times I was hesitant to try new approaches when I felt like 'nothing was working'. But with support from my family, and mustering some courage to be open to new ways of supporting my recovery, I've learnt a diverse toolkit of skills and resources I can use

@WheresMySquishy Such important points raised here around communication, thank you for bringing that to the discussion. It can be hard when you're feeling down to communicate but finding someone your comfortable with makes such a huge difference. I'm glad you have a doctor that you trust better now Smiley Happy 

@drpenguin happy to hear you've been able to learn more about how mental health care plans work tonight! Smiley Happy