cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ask a Pro Live: Navigating the Mental Health System October 2019

What improvements would you like to see in the mental health system in the future?

What a question, there are so many things I would like to see but I think they all boil down to four key principles or approaches:

• Connection and Partnership: I want to see mental health services continue to work together in partnership to support those accessing services to have a more seamless experience no matter where you enter the system
  • Lived Experience at the centre!: I feel like this is an area that is gaining a lot more recognition, and I want to see the voice of lived experience continue to drive all decisions services make to improve their services
  • Holistic approach to wellbeing: Wellbeing is so broad and encompasses all aspects of life, mental health is one aspect but to live a fulfilling life I would like to see the system focus on all aspects of life from social, physical health, housing, work, study etc
  • Working within families and communities: We are not islands, and I am happy to see services challenge themselves to think about the role of family and community 

Check out our community activities calendar here

What improvements would you like to see in the mental health system in the future?
I would like for it to be made easier for young people to access medications, and for there to be more information provided to them about how they can cover the cost of medications. I have private health insurance but I still find myself getting confused as to what exactly it can cover. I also had no idea that you can claim psychology sessions on some health insurance plans. So, I think there should be more awareness about these kinds of things.
I also think that most people need more than 10 sessions a year. It would be great if the number of sessions on a mental health care plan could be increased somehow.

Have you had experience of developing a Mental Health Care Plan? And if so, what advice do you have for someone who may be thinking of seeking mental health support through this avenue?

That you're not obligated to stick with the same professional for all 10 sessions, and that ultimately you're allowed to choose what you want to focus on. You're definitely allowed to pause and say: this isn't working for me, what needs to change? This is something I think was covered well by other people earlier in the chat Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

What apps are available to help me navigate the health system?

The really exciting thing about living in a digital age is that new technology is helping us address gaps and make self help and mental health support more accessible!

Head to Health is a service that collates the best of online supports and apps across the country and is differently worth a look!

ReachOut has the Next Step tool which can be a helpful tool to connect you with relevant services!

We also spoke about the WayAhead directory and Health Direct which can be so helpful in finding resources. Also, my health record is another opportunity to be able to share your story and experiences across different health professional!

There are so many, that we may link even more tomorrow!

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO and @WheresMySquishy totally agree! Especially with the hollistic approach to mental health, it affects such a broad section of people's lives so it makes sense to have a broad approach!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

I'd like to see more education and awareness of the mental health system and related services at education institutions, especially high schools where vulnerable individuals can tend to go unnoticed and neglected. I haven't been in high school for a long time now though, so I don't know how much mental health awareness and education has changed, but I hope that it does become more important in the near future!

So true @ecla34! It is 100% okay to chop and change until you find the person, service or support that works for you!

@WheresMySquishy I think you have raised a really great point about learning more about private health insurance; there are a lot of things you may be able to claim through your health fund and working out what you are eligible for can really help! It is also something to think about when joining a health fund; which one is going to give you the best mental health support

@Jess1-RO  I agree that families can make a big difference in the mental health of individual members. I have seen people from particular cultures deal with individual members' mental health issues through a more 'collective' approach that places less responsibility on the individual to 'make themselves get better'. It's a bit hard for me to explain here, but this approach has benefited people from particular cultures and societies.

Education is essential @drpenguin! I share your hope that awareness will continue to grow as a priority for education sectors Heart I definitely feel there is movement in that direction!

Sos Help GIF by Denyse®

Thank you for sharing all those links @Jess1-RO 

We've had a really uplifting conversation tonight, which is the perfect way to finish Mental Health month. There has been a lot of chatting about recovery, treatment and healing which has been so heart-warming to read through Heart 

We had a question that is an important one. What happens when you're feeling like you don't have options and start to feel at risk. We had the following question from a courageous member: 

What happens when no one in the system will help?