cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contributing Life Convo: Aug 1st 9pm AEST

Contributing Life Conversations is an initiative of the National Mental Health Commission and it's about documenting what all people in Australia think about what it is to have a meaningful life! From Monday 22 July to Sunday 11 August they are encouraging people to meet in homes, workplaces, café’s, parks and public spaces around Australia to have ‘Contributing Life Conversations’.

Here's more info:

We'll be having one right here on Aug 1st at 9pm AEST and want to hear from YOU - young people - to tell the National Mental Health Commission what young people think about

What helps... and what hinders... YOU to have purpose and opportunities to contribute to society and mental health reform.

We'll be asking you a few questions and we'd love to hear from all of you about your opinions....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Contributing Life Convo: Aug 1st 9pm AEST

Welcome to tonight’s discussion!

The National Mental Health Commission is asking all of us to have conversations about what it means to have a contributing life.

The info from our conversation will help drive meaningful improvement to the mental health and wellbeing of all Australians. It will also inform the 2013 Report Card on Mental Health and Suicide Prevention to be released in November 2013.

So, a definition:

“When we talk about a contributing life, we mean
a fulfilling life – recognising that those people who
live with mental health difficulties want and need
the same things as everyone else.”
National Mental Health Commissioner Janet Meagher

These conversations will be about sharing what ‘A Contributing Life’ means to you, and those
close to you, and discussing what gives each of our lives meaning and purpose. The conversation
will be based on four simple questions, designed to take less than an hour.

So, we’ve got four questions and we’ll be chatting for the next hour. Let’s get started with the first question:
Question 1: What’s important to you in having a meaningful life?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

We actually had this discussion at work today as well and some of the things we talked about were: have a sense of community, fulfilling relationships with friends and family, doing things you are passionate about....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi everyone

Doris here, helping with co-faciliate with today's InfoBus

I would like to have people and things near me that give me a sense of acknowledgment. This would include-

• family and friends + other significant people that reminds me who I am when I forget
  • my pets - the ongoing proof that I could keep another life alive
  • my work - study, job, entertainment activities, so I could keep myself occupied 

What's important to you?

Great answers Doris! Seems like the people in our lives give us a lot of meaning... and the animals too!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Ok, well we'll push on to the next question...  Question 2: What helps you to have a meaningful life?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi everyone,

Feeling connected to others, my community, and the world around me.

Living an ethical life, in line with my values.

Feeling able to make a difference on issues I care about.

Being happy and content with my place and purpose in life.

Again, when we had the conversation today... to be able to have a meaningful contributing life some of the things we talked about were that we'd need to have a secure home, an income, good health...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Georgie! Ohhh YES living ethically to our values is a good one! And yes, making a difference on the world around us is important too...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Question 2: What helps you to have a meaningful life?

The ongoing reminder of who I am and where I am headed. The reminder could be external, like

• reflecting on my achievements,
  • having loved ones valuing me,
  • being inspired by another person's story. 

The reminder could be intrinsic, like

• having my own motivation to keep me company which would help me make something of myself in this life,
  • living by my values and beliefs and feeling proud that I stood up for something,
  • remembering my goals and striving for them

I have a value that I would try and make one person I meet each day smile. Smiley Happy