cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gender- Ask a Pro Live with Kai and Olivia July 25th 2019

Hi @KaiRoe and @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital ! It's really nice to meet you! Smiley Very Happy 
Can't wait for the chat to start! Heart

@Ladybug @Hozzles and @recharging_introvert feel free to join in if you're still online in the next while! Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Hi @KaiRoe + @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital! This is so exciting! Smiley Very Happy

Hello everyone and welcome to our Ask a Pro:Live event on the topic of Gender! We will be starting with the first question right at 7pm!

Gay Pride GIF

A huge warm welcome to our special guests @KaiRoe  and @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital who are joining us tonight!

Before we start at 7pm, just a few important messages we would like to share:

The first is some important information about language:

Language is very important as it conveys respect and inclusion of all people. We acknowledge the many First Nation language words across the world to describe diverse gender identity before the word Transgender or Trans existed. These words go beyond the western terms and when using the phrase ‘Trans and Gender Diverse’ or the acronym ‘TGD’ in this webchat we include people who identify as Two spirit, third gender, SisterGirl, BrotherBoy, Fa’afafine, Fakaleiti, whakawahine, fafatama, non-binary, gender queer, trans and more.  

The second key message is about seeking support:

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

We will also be referring to a number of awesome LGBTIQA+ services across Australia that you can access. A key one if you need support tonight is Qlife who offer support from 3pm-midnight.

Our first question is coming soon so stay tuned! 

Just tagging all the members who liked this initial blog post @Hozzles @Ladybug @recharging_introvert @Bananatime04 @Esperanza67 @ecla34 @WheresMySquishy @Tiny_leaf Heart Look forward to speaking with you soon!

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

Nice to meet you @KaiRoe and @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital! Thanks so much for joining us! Smiley Happy

Here we go!

Our first question for tonight for @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital and @KaiRoe is to help us get to know you a bit better:

Tell us a little bit about yourself and three fun facts!

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

Kai (they/them) here, your local gender nerd, I’m trans Non-Binary and ready to answer your questions! Three fun things about me? WELL!

1. I’m an artist
  2. I’m currently wearing odd socks, foxes and cacti 
  3. My cat is hanging out with me tonight, meowing at my music choices Cat Happy

Hi Im Olivia (she/her) cis, Trans ally. I’m a psychologist and coordinate the QLD Children’s Gender Service in Brisvegas . 3 fun things

1. My doggies light up my life
  2. Im a Bushranger… a basketball player in a queer team called the Bushrangers
  3. I’m wearing sock slippers with dogs on them
Highlighted

It's so nice to meet fellow animal lovers @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital and @KaiRoe! Smiley Happy I wish I had a pet right now.

So we have a question here for Olivia! @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital  What's been the most rewarding aspect of working in this field? Smiley Happy

I have an awesome job - I meet incredible young people and families every day. I am often impressed with the strength and resilience they bring to some pretty tough situations in life. I enjoy watching families grow together and supporting young people and parents to get on the same page and make plans to create their own life story