cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gender- Ask a Pro Live with Kai and Olivia July 25th 2019

So agree with @WheresMySquishy@KaiRoe is definitely a role model Heart

Our next question for @KaiRoe is: 

Kai, when and how did you realise that you were Trans Non-Binary?

Olivia, how did you get involved in working with trans and gender diverse young people?

Check out our community activities calendar for September 2019 here

@Jess1-RO @WheresMySquishy You are too sweet! Heart

Kai, when and how did you realise that you were Trans Non-Binary?

I kind of always knew that i wasn’t female and was always uncomfortable with my chest being feminine  but i never had the words to put to what i felt, because i also knew that i wasnt male, and when i was about 14 or so, i found the term non-binary on tumblr of all places and realised that there was an entire spectrum of gender that was in between male and female, I also started to realise that my very feminine deadname and she/her pronouns mad me really uncomfortable and after finding the non-binary label, it fit really well and i just stuck with it.

Olivia, how did you get involved in working with trans and gender diverse young people?

Hmmm… a long time ago I co-facilitated a youth support group called 2QT2BSTR8 in Logan, south of Brisbane (15 years ago!) I met two amazing resilient and strong trans young people who were doing it tough and found out there were no services or clinics that could provide trans youth informed support or medical care. I spoke to Trans friends who told me more about the struggle to access trans informed healthcare and that many psychologists and doctors would turn them away as they didnt know much about Trans healthcare

I figured I needed to learn more about this so I could do a better job and so I started learning and then more trans adults and young people came to see me 

giphy.gif

@KaiRoe so glad that there was an online space that helped you put a name to how you felt! Heart It sounds like a really powerful moment finding that there are people who feel the same as you and finding out there's such a spectrum! Heart

@Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital  it's so scary hearing about such a complete lack of support and healthcare for the trans community, even as recently as 15 years ago. Sometimes it feels like we've come a long way, but then again there's so far to go as well.. Would be interesting to compare the services available now as compared to the early 2000s. 

I agree with you @ecla34. It disappointments me when I hear about someone not being able to get the support or help they need. Smiley Sad We can do a lot better. I'm glad that there are people like @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital who are helping to make services more accessible. Heart

@ecla34  Yes it was really hard back then, eventually i found a half day a month Children's gender service that they could go to but the waiting time was 1 year! So glad we have small team now in Queensland to offer psychological support and medical treatments

Highlighted

@KaiRoe such a powerful experience and one I am sure so many young people here can relate to Heart It sounds like turning to the internet to understand the diversity of gender was really important for you, and that the label of non-binary has been a huge part of your journey of self-love and self-acceptanceHeart

Check out our community activities calendar for September 2019 here

the work that Olivia @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital is doing is so inspiring! wow!

@KaiRoe I only found out how to describe my gender because of tumblr as well.

I love the gif!!

@ecla34 @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital I think that one of my local hospitals actually has a gender center type thing, but they only really help with physical transition from what I know.

I haven't been told that someone couldn't treat me, but I get misgendered all the time from my doctors; once as part of a report.