cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gender- Ask a Pro Live with Kai and Olivia July 25th 2019

What are some supports and resources for people questioning their gender?

I agree with @KaiRoe the internet and youtube can be good source of information and also connection with other folk if you cant get to a group or don't have friends who get this stuff. 

When im talking to people who are questioning I speak about the need to experiment and try things out, we cant figure out who we are sitting back and thinking about it all alone in our heads. Its a really natural part of growing up to be contemplating who you are and talking to people is a great start

Lots of LGBTIQAP+ groups out there - not only good for social support but a nice way to find out latest and best information about your local area

That is a really important point @KaiRoe, your safety is the number one priority in the first instance Heart

There are also some fantastic services who can offer support and talk it through with you before you have a conversation to educate someone. Could not recommend Qlife more highly! Sometimes talking it through with someone first, and having that conversation about safety in advance, can help in preparing for a conversation with someone who may be transphobic.

Check out our community activities calendar for September 2019 here
Highlighted

What contributes to the higher rates of mental health concerns with young people who are gender diverse?

I hear you @KaiRoe a big part of it is cisnormativity and heteronormativity dominate Aussie society- this suggest s that being straight and cisgender are normal and everything else... well isnt. Gender and sexuality diverse people are a minority and there is this thing called minority stress which can really affect your mental health. Happens to folks who are differently abled or from a different  cultural background too. Basically its hard putting up with people's assumptions, prejudice and discrimination - it gets you down and makes you anxious . . .

it sounds like it's a really delicate balancing act at times @KaiRoe , between being firm and being cautious, i can't imagine how frustrating and daunting that must be Smiley Sad Heart It really emphasises just how important it is to listen and to have the voices of trans role models like you raised, so that people see and can recognise that trans people exist and that who they are is valid! Heart 

We are going to try and get through as many questions as we can in the next 20 minutes! 

Here we go...

On the forums we often hear from young people about coping with gender dysphoria. What are some good ways to cope with gender dysphoria in everyday life?

and another question submitted was:

Gender diversity has transcended centuries- So why have gender discussions become an increasingly important and discussed topic only in recent years? Why hasn't it been talked about more openly earlier?

On the forums we often hear from young people about coping with gender dysphoria. What are some good ways to cope with gender dysphoria in everyday life?

For me, personally, I bind my chest, I use a proper chest binder that I got from GC2B  so as to make sure I do it safely and in a way that won’t injure me, as a way to deal with my physical dysphoria but as for social dysphoria I try and stay around and talk to people who know and use my name and pronouns as well as making sure I take some time for self care with simple things like meditation and bubble baths in order to make sure i’m feeling okay.

Gender diversity has transcended centuries- So why have gender discussions become an increasingly important and discussed topic only in recent years? Why hasn't it been talked about more openly earlier?

The internet. its just become a lot more widely known about, people are feeling safer to come out and share their experiences online. It’s also become a lot more important in my opinion, to make sure everyone feels comfortable and heard. It’s not really a new thing, its just that its becoming more publicly known.

I know most participants here know that diverse gender has always existed on every continent there are so many different language words to describe gender beyond the binary

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/content/two-spirits_map-html/

but the social change that has made it safer for Trans and gender diverse people to disclose identity is not everywhere.  Also many people are speaking up about who they are to access treatments that can reduce gender dysphoria. We dont think there are more trans people just more known trans people. The big rise has been in youth because they can find stories online that resonate with their experiences which helps them communicate how they are feeling. Many years ago (pre trans celebrities) adults would see a TV special and realise for the first time in their life that there was a word for how they have felt all their lives. Im like pre-internet old and I can tell you that no-one knew the word trans or what that meant when I was at Uni!!!  Cant talk about something or disclose your identity if you dont have any words for it or think you are the only one

Not safe everywhere: Smiley Sad

https://ilga.org/maps-sexual-orientation-laws

Self care is so important @KaiRoe. I also really liked that you mentioned surrounding yourself with supportive people who use your pronouns- having that supportive network is so important and affirming Heart Who are the people in your support network?

100% the internet! The problem isn't that it wasn't discussed -- it was only discussed in small, isolated corners. The internet allows everyone's voices to be heard more accessibly. 

There's also the issue of social norms + the role of culture and religion. Like @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital said, diverse gender has always existed, and the ways we perform gender varies from culture to culture.