cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Gender- Ask a Pro Live with Kai and Olivia July 25th 2019

Hey thanks for sharing that knowledge @Tiny_leaf  and thanks for your excellent contributions and questions tonight. 

Thankyou so much for having me on here!

I loved our discussions tonight! 

HAve the best night!

Thank you so much @KaiRoe and @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital !! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Flag Owl GIF by Kiernan Sjursen-Lien

It was so wonderful hearing your amazing experiences and insight and i'm so glad you were able to come on to RO to chat with us all! Heart

||We're having a Getting Real live chat to do with Group Work on Monday the 23rd of September! Check it out here! Smiley Very Happy||

Thank you so much @Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital and @KaiRoe! I loved reading your answers. This was such an interesting discussion! Smiley Happy

Thanks for having me ReachOut and everyone out there for contributing awesome questions. Big thanks to my co-pilot Kai, I always learn something new when i listen to people's lived experience

@Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital @KaiRoe thanks for coming on, I've really enjoyed this discussion!  

@Olivia_QLDchildrensHospital @KaiRoe Thanks for the amazing and insightful chat! Smiley Very Happy

Oh my goodness what an amazing discussion. I feel so much more educated, which will help me be an even better ally in the future. 

Celebration.gif

Here are some of the amazing services support LGBTIQA+ people across Australia!

State Services

NSW: ACON Twenty10, The Gender Centre

QLD: Open doors, Relationships Australia QLD, Queensland Children’s Gender Service

SA:Trans Health SA, Shine South Australia

WA: The Gender Diversity Service, Living Proud

VIC: Parents of Diverse Gender Children, Queerspace

TAS: Tasmanian Gender  Service

ACT: Diversity ACT

NT:NT Government Gender Diverse Services 

National Services

Qlife

LGBTI Health

Minus18

Black Rainbow

Ygender

Also check out Emma's gender identity journey here.

Hello everyone! We had a few more questions from the live discussion that our speakers have responded to and we would love to share these!

Here are a few of the questions we didn't get to on the night, but are really valuable to this discussion on Gender!

What is "gender studies" at university? What careers can a major in gender studies lead towards?

Kai has written a response to answer this question! 
" 'Gender Studies' is a major that you can pick with a Bachelor of Arts and it basically explores how gender is explored in the everyday world. You can go on to teaching it, or if you take masters degrees in other topic areas, for example psychology, you could go on to being a therapist and more into that side of things, but there are also careers such as analysts and more statistical typed careers."

If you are interested in gender studies, speak to your university about your study and career options!

Do people often confuse gender and sexuality?

Olivia's response: "Yaaaaas! How come that's still happening?? I think a big problem is the confusion about gender expression. How I look or act does not tell you what my sexuality or gender is. Gender, Sexuality and Gender Expression are different and may not line up like you would expect"

Kai's response: "ALL THE TIME WOW, but the best way I've learnt to explain it is: Sexuality is who you're attracted to or go to bed with and gender is who you are and who you go to bed AS."

For more information about the difference between gender and sexuality, you can read this ReachOut article here, or have a look at the gender unicorn infographic here:

the gender unicorn infographic

Check out our community activities calendar for September 2019 here