cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Happy & healthy relationships

I think unhealthy relationships have the potential to become abusive, though would like to think that a majority of people could realise their relationship was unhealthy before it got to that point. I really don't know about whether or not they are common or uncommon, I know there would be many abusive relationships considering the large population of our country and the all types of people who live here. In a day at work I often serve customers who are with their partners and in some instances the way things are said and actions between the two parties makes me think there is something unhealthy/ abusive going on. For this reason I suppose I do think these unhealthy/abusive relationships are much too common in Australia

Unhealthy relationships become abusive. Are these sorts of relationships common or uncommon in Australia? What makes you think so?

I'm sure unhealthy relationships that become abusive do exist but they happen in private unless they're extremely bad. I also think that people don't tolerate these kinds of relationships anymore for lots of reasons. And maybe those who do put up with it feel they don't have support or don't know where to find it. And that makes things really hard. On the other hand, there are lots of wonderful relationships.

Have a go at this Truth/Myth:

Unhealthy relationships become abusive. Are these sorts of relationships common or uncommon in Australia? What makes you think so?

Oooo very interesting question Sophie... it's tricky -

I think that at some stage we have all done something unhealthy, or not nice either consciously or unconsciously in relationships... I would say it becomes abusive when the unhealthy behaviour becomes an on-going occurance and you repeat that behaviour even after your partner has said they felt upset or hurt etc

@ruenhonx wrote:

Hmm, abusive I would say yes but abuse comes in a number of forms, mentally, emotionally, physically etc. I think they are common in Australia I just think some people are too scared to talk about it. I think so because there are a number of people I have spoken to who have been abused or are in unhealthy relationships. Am I wrong??

Sadly not wrong Ru! I also know many women who have been in abusive relationships - of all the different types of abuse you described... Because of the nature of abuse, it's under reported but even conservative estimates show that about 1 in 4 women in Australia will experience relationship abuse. Statistics also show that domestic and family violence is most likely to be committed against women 

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

That means about 3million women....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Wow, 1 in 4 is terrifying isnt it... 

I agree foster the people, a lot of people don't have the support or for a number of reasons feel that they can't get out of the relationships easily anymore.

People don't enter into unhealthy/abusive relationships.
Often abuse and control in relationships can be subtle and build up overtime and this is one of many reasons why people who are in abusive relationships don't leave earlier or find it difficult to leave, because of the gradual build up. 

1 in 4, goodness that is too common

@ruenhonx wrote:

Wow, 1 in 4 is terrifying isnt it... 

It is, but program's like Hayleys and this session do heaps to reduce it!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

These are the stats I am aware of - it's terrible really!

Each week in Australia a woman is killed by her current or ex-partner.

The Australian Crime Commission found that 75% of women who had been killed during 2008-2010 had been killed by their male partner – someone they knew, someone who was ‘suppose’ to love them.

1 in 3 women experience violence in a relationship with a partner.

The largest impact on a 15-44 year old woman’s health in Australia is violence. That means violence is a greater threat to a woman’s health than other health issues.