cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Happy & healthy relationships

Wow yea, the 1 in 4 is a conservative one... 1 in 3 is probably much more realistic..

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

It is really scary hearing that Hayley and I cant help think that it could be me. I think this topic is so important for us to be aware. So the next question we have : 

When it comes to sex - consent means permission for something to happen or agreement to participate in a sexual act. How can we tell we have consent from another person?

I think with stats we need to be mindful that all of them don't take into account the number of people who don't report or can't report Smiley Sad so the stats could be even worse
Highlighted

It's horrifying to consider what those poor women who have been murdered by the very people who are supposed to love and care about them would have gone through, very frightening statistics there Hayley

Scary stats... But I'm glad that I'm here educating myself so I can (hopefully!) avoid these things happening to me or my friends or family members Smiley Happy

When it comes to sex - consent means permission for something to happen or agreement to participate in a sexual act. How can we tell we have consent from another person?

They give verbal consent, and they are happy to be involved and enjoying themselves.

Good question:

Well if it's consent just to kiss someone - you can usually tell via body languge - they lean in closer, or kiss you back and don't step away. 

If we are looking for consent to have sex with someone, then having a bit of a chat in the lead up to, whilst kissing maybe saying, do you feel comfortable doing this, would you like to go further, I have a condom, etc

Consent doesn't always just have to be verbal right?

Yep - verbal consent is really important... Our factsheet gives you some tips on how to talk about it with your partner... http://au.reachout.com/What-is-sexual-consent

Like:
Are you happy with this?
Do you want to stop?
Do you want to go further?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I attended a very interesting seminar about sexual assault given by a police officer at my Uni last year and he raised a great point. Giving consent isn't not saying no, consent isn't not stopping it from happening. Consent is (being over 16 years of age) and verbally saying yes and giving that permission to the other person. Also consent can be revoked at any time, saying yes to begin with does not mean the person is ok to continue things if you let them know you want to stop