cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Happy & healthy relationships

@Learn-to-fly wrote:
I attended a very interesting seminar about sexual assault given by a police officer at my Uni last year and he raised a great point. Giving consent isn't not saying no, consent isn't not stopping it from happening. Consent is (being over 16 years of age) and verbally saying yes and giving that permission to the other person. Also consent can be revoked at any time, saying yes to begin with does not mean the person is ok to continue things if you let them know you want to stop

Those are great points Learn-to-fly! Sounds like it was a really good seminar Smiley Happy

Yep great point learntofly! The laws on consent are actually really strong... it's just courts that struggle to have prosecution prove it...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good question fosterthe people:

We always need to get some verbal response to ensure that they are happy and not feeling pressured.
Sometimes body languge - especially if going further than kissing is not a good indicator of agreeing to consent.
The person might be scared, unsure or may not feel they can say no, so if they are silent or not responding, we always need to say are you okay, would you like to stop? The law says that you have to always get a clear yes or other verbal response from the person that is a clear indicator that they are enthusiastically consenting.

Consent is an on-going conversation between two people/two partners. Consent is a free agreement (no pressure or force) and when both people are in the right state of mind and not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

This means for someone to freely agree there can be no force, pressure or coercion. This also means if someone is not in a conscious state - meaning if they are asleep or so affected by alcohol or any other drug they are then not in the right state of mind to freely agree to participate in any sexual acts. 

So we kinda have the answer this this now based on what learntofly said, but:

Does silence ever mean ‘yes’ or consent? 

(kinda relates to fosterthepeople's Q too)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Delicate dreamer it was an excellent seminar he was a funny man and managed to discuss serious issues with a roomful of women while keeping it lighthearted enough to not be too heavy. He gave great advice on how to get yourself out of a situation that was turning bad and also gave a talk to the guys. Not sure what went on in theirs but it was a few days before they were confident with having much to do with any of the girls again. Wish I could think of his name, he was excellent

Does silence ever mean ‘yes’ or consent? 

I like this picture! It sums it up for me!

So great to hear about guys and even police guys who have a good handle on this stuff! (in November we're having Hayley's male counterpart Carpell who does workshops with guys on Infobus!)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

thanks for clearing that up folks ! 8D

is that why people are always repeatedly saying yes when engaging in such activity ! hahahahahahaha

it's consent ! consent ! consent !

those questions that soph posted were really good !
they're short and to the point.
plus if it's your first time then your partner should be making sure it's okay or what not

ha! love that picture hayley! We get weird messages from society about consent from a young age!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com