cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Happy & healthy relationships

haha fosterthepeeps that's hilarious and not against guidelines at all!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

So many great responses and discussion I am having trouble reading it all as it is such good discussion.
I will have to read it again after this session this evening Smiley Happy

Does silence ever mean ‘yes’ or consent? 

No, silence could mean anything. You need clear (i.e. verbal) consent from the person to make sure they are happy to be doing whatever it is you're doing.

Highlighted

I suppose Hayley if within that silence there is positive body language and pushing the situation forward it could be considered consent from the other person in the situation. For instance I don't expect my boyfriend to ask me every since time we partake in sexual things, however I know that if I don't want it at that point in time I can say no and vice versa but when it's a serious relationship I guess asking 'do you want to do this?'every time would take the romance/spontaneity out of it. However I think ensuring verbal or very obvious non verbal consent is important in every encounter, regardless of circumstances.

"Active consent" is a good concept to look up if you are interested... Consent is based on choice. ; It is active, not passive. Silence and passivity do not equal consent

Consent is possible only when there is equal power.

Giving in because of fear is NOT consent.

Giving in or going along with someone to gain approval or to avoid being hurt is NOT consent.

Consent means two people (or more!) deciding together to do the same thing, at the same time, in the same way, with each other.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Learn-to-fly wrote:
Delicate dreamer it was an excellent seminar he was a funny man and managed to discuss serious issues with a roomful of women while keeping it lighthearted enough to not be too heavy. He gave great advice on how to get yourself out of a situation that was turning bad and also gave a talk to the guys. Not sure what went on in theirs but it was a few days before they were confident with having much to do with any of the girls again. Wish I could think of his name, he was excellent

Wow that sounds really great Learn-to-fly. I like it when you can get good, useful info on important topics like that but they still manage to keep it light. Sounds like he'd be a good person to do talks in schools on the topic!

This topic of consent is so interesting and there are things I've learnt because no one really talks about this, anyway lovely people our last question for the night: 

If you like someone, what are some ways you can let them know you like them?

ruenhonx wrote:

If you like someone, what are some ways you can let them know you like them?

ohhh I'm terrible at this so would love to hear everyone's ideas!!!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I have to go guys (early morning tomorrow!) but it's been a great discussion tonight, I've really enjoyed it. Thanks to all involved (especially our guest Hayley) and I'll definitely be back to check out the rest in the morning Smiley Very Happy

See ya DD! Thanks so much for being here!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com