cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy & healthy relationships

This month's special guest for our Infobus session is Hayley Wesson who runs a program called: "Respect, Protect, Connect" in Victoria which is all about healthy relationships and consensual sex.

This month, Infobus will be on Thursday 26th at 9pm AEST/6pm WST.

If you would like you submit an anonymous question for her to answer during the session, please submit your question here.

Healthy relationships are ones where you have fun and it makes you feel good about yourself. They usually involve communicating, sharing, respect and trust. (On the other hand, unhealthy relationships can make you feel sad, angry, scared, or worried).

Consensual sex means that both people in a sexual encounter agree to it - and either person may decide at any time that they no longer agree (consent) and want to stop the activity. Consenting to one behavior does not obligate you to consent to any other behaviors. Consenting on one occasion also does not obligate you to consent on any other occasion. Consenting means only that at this particular time, you would like to engage in this particular sexual behavior. 

Here is Hayley:

And here is a message from Hayley:

Hi, my name is Hayley and I work as a program coordinator for SECASA, which stands for the South Eastern Centre Against Sexual Assault.

I run a high school program called Respect, Protect, Connect (RPC). It is a prevention program where I use group activities & discussions to talk with young people about what a respectful relationship looks like and feels like; and we also talk about power and control issues in relationships.

The female workshops I run address topics like:

• what is a relationship - what is healthy and unhealthy?
  • what is violence, types of violence, the impact of violence,
  • sexual consent and the law,
  • sexting and its affects
  • how to support a friend.

The male workshops address topics ranging from masculinity, anti-violence strategies, healthy relationships and

sexual consent. (Sophie: We'll be having Carpell from trhe male program later this year!)

I have been working with young people from 5 to 25 years of age since 2008. So this is my 5th year working with young people.

Join us for a conversation about what a healthy or unhealthy relationship is and about what sexual consent is (and what needs to be in place for consent to be given freely), -  we would love for you to join us.

In the meantime, if you have any questions you would like answered, please use the anonymous form to send them through by the day before the session - the 25th of September so I can have them answered during the session. 

If you would like you submit an anonymous question for her to answer during the session, please submit your question here.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Happy & healthy relationships

Well it’s that Infobus time of the month tonight and we are joined by Hayley from SE Centre Against Sexual Assault. She works on the Respect, Protect, Connect program and runs workshops with High School girls… 

Tonight, she’s here as our guest and will be facilitating with me and ruenhonx! We are talking about relationships and sex – what makes them respectful and healthy and what are signs that things are not quite right….

If you feel unsettled or upset during this discussion, please don’t hesitate to step away from the convo for a bit. If you have experienced abuse in a relationship or sexually and you find that tonight’s discussion brings up some unexpected emotions, don’t forget you can always contact 1800 RESPECT (http://www.1800respect.org.au/)… And you you need to chill out, try a relaxation session on Smiling Mind http://smilingmind.com.au/

Finally, please stick to the community guidelines when posting in today’s Infobus.

Ok, here’s our first Question to you to kick things off!

Can you think of a couple that you think have a happy and healthy relationship? What is it about their relationship that makes you think it's healthy?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Everyone, my name is Hayley and I am from the south eastern centre against sexual assault and I co-coordinate the Respect Protect Connect program. I am 28 years old and after seeing and hearing about lots of various people going through some issues they have had in relationships over the years, my passion is to promote healthy relationships and to encourage people to go with any gut feelings that tell them something isn’t okay. 

Hey everyone

Welcome to tonights infobus. Super excited hope you all join in Smiley Happy 

Can you think of a couple that you think have a happy and healthy relationship? What is it about their relationship that makes you think it's healthy?

My bestie and her boyfriend have a pretty good relationship. I think it's healthy because they respect each other, give each other space (not joined at the hip IKYWIM), and they are just nice to each other Smiley Happy. She is so much happier in this relationship than her last one, which I think speaks volumes about how much healthier it is.

Oops forgot to say hi! Hi everyone Smiley Very Happy looking forward to the discussion Smiley Happy

I am finding it hard to think of anyone in my life but Beyonce and JayZ are a good couple that I admire and I think its healthy because they have a sense of privacy, they dont publicise their business and they are so lovey and playful together and very supportive of each other. Well from what I see anyway it seems like their relationship is healthy and kinda beautiful 

@Sophie-RO wrote:

For me - I have these old family friends, a couple. One has past away now, and teh other is now living in a nursing home...but they seemed to have a really healthy and respectful relationship... They were publicly very proud of each other and told people so, they had excellent communication and really listened to each other. They had different interests, but respected what the other did...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey DD, thanks for coming on Smiley Happy glad to have u 

That sounds like a great relationship and a good example of a healthy one.
Also, great to notice that as a friend you can see how she is much happier Smiley Happy