cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Addressing the stigma of self-injury

Just so everyone is aware, that statistic includes people aged from 10 years old to 100 years old. Although self-injury is usually thought of as something that only happens to teenagers, its not actually the case! People at all ages can self-injure.

I for one am quite surprised by the figure of 8.1%. I think because whenever I look at figures I look at it in terms of my own life. So thinking of my class at uni there would be, according the the figure, 8 people who have or will self harm. That's quite scary. 

Yay Georgie! Awesome to have you here, even if it's only briefly Smiley Happy

@gail wrote:

In the intro we mentioned that 8.1% of Australians report having self-injured at least one time in their life. Does that statistic surprise you or make sense? Do you know someone who has self-injured– yourself, a friend a loved one?

To answer myself...

This doesn't surprise me at all. I personally self harmed regularly for about ten years, and I have many friends who have and some who still do self harm. I work with children and young people too, and I'd say we're generally aware of about 5% who self harm - and that's only the ones that we know about.

Dilz, that's such a good point, when you apply the number to situations in our lives...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

In the intro we mentioned that 8.1% of Australians report having self-injured at least one time in their life. Does that statistic surprise you or make sense? Do you know someone who has self-injured– yourself, a friend a loved one?

It kind of does and doesn't surprise me. I know that there are quite a number of people who self harm, but I rarely know of others who do self harm outside of mental health volunteering/people I've come across in hospital.

I've self harmed for about 8-9 years now. I do know a few people who self harm.

I wonder if there are people reading this infobus who have self-injured themselves, or know someone else who has self-injured, but feel too shy to post something? One of the reasons why people might be reluctant to talk about self-injury is because there are lots of unhelpful myths surrounding self-injury, like all self-injurers have mental illness or self-injury is always a suicide attempt.

@Sophie-RO wrote:
Dilz, that's such a good point, when you apply the number to situations in our lives...

Yeah, I think of it like this too. Puts it into perspective, and makes you realise that you might not be as alone in what your going through, as what you think.

What are some other myths associated with self injury? Why are myths unhelpful and what problems can they cause for people who self injure?

Hey cassie, thanks for coming and sharing a bit about you and your history...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com