cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Eating Disorders & Body Image

Welcome ashleemaree and speedofsound. Thanks for your insights.

I think eating disorders are becoming more common in males, but the statistics still say that more females than males get diagnosed with eating disorders. Males definitely DO get eating disorders though. Often they manifest in different ways though, so they mightn't be detected as easily.

Great thoughts speedofsound, I definitely agree that society's "obsession" with weight and size needs to change. You hear of 5 year old girls now saying that they are fat!!! This really disturbs me but does not surprise me at all.

Other myths I have heard include "that you have to be underweight to have an eating disorder" - definitely not true!! People of all sizes, age, gender, race get eating disorders (that's another myth that only rich, white females get eating disorders). Also that it's all for attention (definitely not true either!). So many rumours go around about eating disorders!

Oh @speedofsound! High fives to that! Spot on.

Hi there AshleeMaree, you are correct, males definitely do experience eating disorders also.  Current stats show that about 65% of eating disorder sufferers are female.  Many males don't seek help due to stigma attachd to Eating Disorders (ED's) and so it's actually really hard to know just how many males are suffering out there!

Highlighted

I'm curious as to how somone is diagnosed with an eating disorder? 

I understand that anyone can get any eating disorder and that there are certain criterias for different disorders but what is 'bad enough' eating behaviours that someone has to be diagnosed with an eating disorder?

Hey speedof sound - i totally agree that everyone needs to stop commenting on each others bodies and appearance so much. I make an effort to not comment on people's size no matter if i happen to notice they are bigger or smaller... I just never comment....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Georgie!! YES, that's a big myth "that you have to be stick thin to have an eating disorder," it every effects people's ability to get the right care sometimes...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Welcome Georgie and adrianhempfing,

Georgie - love the idea of thinking of your body like that! We really shouldn't care what it looks like as long as it functions properly hey? And for it to function properly we need to take care of it!! Great way of thinking about it! Smiley Very Happy

Adrianhempfing, great identification of myths - I've definitely heard of all of them before, unfortunately. Eating disorders are definitely linked to self-perception and body image. And you are right, males definitely do have body image issues too. I also believe that from what I've seen it's getting worse for males. There is so much emphasis on males to be buff now. So many males that I know spend hours and hours at the gym each day trying to perfect their bodies and get that six pack. It's great to be fit and healthy, but some take it to the extremes and have really negative perceptions of themselves.
We should definitely love our bodies and work on being healthy rather than skinny!! The number on the scale is not important, it's our fitness level that matters more.

Hey adrian - absolutely males can have body image issues and eating disorders - like danni said - 45% of sufferers are male... and you have nailed a lot of myths there! Saying that one ED is not as "bad" as another is really damaging! thanks for sharing...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Adrianhempfing!  I love your last point...

ED's are such complex illnesses and there is still SO much stigma and misunderstanding out there in the community about what ED's are and aren't.  It sadly is one of the reasons why many people don't seek help - for fear of not being taking seriously or understood.  I think over the night we'll be exploring some of those myths but a very real and significant risk factor is dieting.  Not every person who diets will develop and eating disorder but research suggests that every person who has an ED has dieted!  It's a little scary how the weight loss and fitness industries can't see the dangers in the practice of dieting!!

Great responses so far guys!!

It's great to see that the general consensus is that we should be more accepting of our bodies and that we can identify the myths that circulate out there.

Next question: (we've already identified some of these!).

Do you know what some of the risk factors can be that might influence the development of an eating disorder?