cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Eating Disorders & Body Image

Hi Bubblez: I know that Eating DIsorders are part of the "DSM" which is a diagnostic tool that psychiatrists use to diagnose people... It lists certain criteria and symptoms - but only a medical professional can use it and diagnose someone...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Here is the second anonymous question that was submitted this month:

"Is there a major difference between Anorexia and Bulimia. Is one more dangerous than the other?"

My Answer:

All eating disorders, and there are four types; Anorexia (AN), Bulimia (BN), Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS) and Binge Eating Disorder (BED), are serious, dangerous and potentially life threatening.  The criteria for diagnosis for Anorexia and Bulimia are different but life can be threatened with all disorders.  Every case is different and the severity of the illness can differ from case to case – regardless of the eating disorder diagnosed.

I really struggle with all aspects of self care, I tend to put my responsibilities and needs of others before those ofmyself, however what Georgie just said has given me an alternative way of looking at caring for myself , Thanks.

So glad to hear that Georgie's way of looking at it helps, Lorbeag!! It's definitely hard at times to put ourselves first, but we do need to make sure we take care of ourselves, if we don't, how can we help others??

Hi Bubblez,

There are 4 types of clinical eating disorders that are classified as a mental illness, these are Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS) and Binge Eating Disorder they all have their own set of diagnostic criteria and diagnosis can only be done by a health professional. Every case is different and how people present can be different. The most common diagnosis is EDNOS - and this is because most people don't fit neatly into one box (anorexia or Bulimia).  Regardless of what the diagnosis the mindset for eating disorders is very similar and all are extremely serious and can be life threatening.  When someone's mindset and behaviours are taking over their life they can be diagnosed with an eating disorder.  They don't have to just be medically unstable for it to be recognised as serious.

We can't forget that there is also 'Disordered Eating' which is a very real problem for many people and this can impact a persons physical and mental wellbeing (and their life generally) significantly!

Do you know what some of the risk factors can be that might influence the development of an eating disorder?

As we've already heard - dieting is a major risk factor. That's a pretty scary statistic.

At a guess, possibly low self esteem, depression or other mental health issues could also be risk factors?

Highlighted

@Lorbeag - It's great that you've realised that self care is something you struggle with. Identifying this is the first step and often the biggest one! So well done.
And it's also great that you've seen an different way of looking at things! We're all here to help each other and to learn from one another.

We'd really love to here more about how you go Smiley Happy

I'm having a guess with Risk Factors, well I think it could apply to any gender, cultural identity, age group, social class, educational level attainment - so I'm thinking it's probably more about:

Individual psychology factors - maybe a link with anxiety, depression, self-concept;

Social factors - being influenced by external factors/people etc.

Genetics? - I'm not sure if there's a heredity link, although it could be 'learned' behaviour; not sure if there are predispositions?

dk

Hi, my daughter has now recovered from an eating dissorder but as a carer the most frustrating thing was that people and some GPs didnt view eating disorders as a mental illness. They would sometimes say just get over it and eat something and I found it very hard to change their view. Do you think more people are getting yhat it is a mental illness?

Lorbeag wrote:

I really struggle with all aspects of self care, I tend to put my responsibilities and needs of others before those ofmyself, however what Georgie just said has given me an alternative way of looking at caring for myself , Thanks.

Honestly, Lorbeag that is really cool to hear you got that change of perspective out of Georgie's post. Self Care is a complex thing that looks different for everyone...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com