cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Eating Disorders & Body Image

What are some of the other mental health difficulties that can develop as a result of an eating disorder?

Guessing again here, but I'd think perhaps depression and anxiety? It can certainly wear a person down having to put up with a constant stream of negative self talk, and presumably low self esteem too. I imagine that there would be certain anxiety issues that could develop out of eating disorders as well.

Highlighted

How would one know that the beahviours/thoughts around food are taking over their life? Is it obvious to the person before being diagnosed with an eating disorder?

I have a close friend with an eating disorder and a comment she commonly recieves is "...get over it and just eat something..."  But eating disorders are not just bout the food though are they? That's just a small part of the problem/disorder isn't it?

What are some of the other mental health difficulties that can develop as a result of an eating disorder

Depression, Anxiety, OCD?

@Lorberg -There seems to be a general misconception in the public as a whole and as you said the media play an important role in that.

As with anything education is the key.
Hopefully if we can get the message out as far and wide as we can then people suffering from these conditions won't feel as isolated and alone.

I would think eating disorders may have influence mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, self-esteem, disordered thinking ?

Maybe could lead to potentially related drug related issues particularly if perceived may help with the condition, or social issues such as loss of friends, exclusion ?

I wouldn't think that an eating disorder be responsible for other mental health conditions such as- bi-polar, personality disorders, schizophrenia, psychosis

Your guesses are pretty spot on Adrian! Well done...  When it comes to risk factors there are biological, psychological and socio-cultural factors that put a person at greater risk of developing an ED and some you've covered!

Things like; personality type (black and white thinker, perfectionist, high achiever), a persons level of self esteem, is there a family history (genetics) of ED's or other mental illness (research is showing that there are definitely people predisposed), has the person been bullied or teased about their weight or size, being overweight as a child, trauma or abuse (but not always contrary to belief!)

It's so important to understand with ED's that there is not just one cause that will lead to the development of an ED and it is no ones fault (unfortunately parents get blamed a lot by people who are uneducated about ED's and the reasons they develop).  Every case is different with the reasons why they develop different too!

@Bubblez: "How would one know that the beahviours/thoughts around food are taking over their life? Is it obvious to the person before being diagnosed with an eating disorder?"

I think people can be in denial, or be very caught up in what they want (to be a lower weight), or even be completely aware and just unable to admit to things. It's really different for different people I think, which is why it can be very tough if you have a friend or family member with an eating disorder... because there's no right or wrong way of handling it.

I think I knew quite early on that my obsession with food and exercise wasn't healthy... but you can create so many mental justifications for it in your head. And when it becomes clear even to you that it's not healthy and is actually very dangerous, by that stage, you often don't care... there are very few things in your head other than the drive to do anything possible to lose weight. And the behaviours and thoughts become increasingly ingrained the more time goes on, so I think people become even less willing and able to admit to the problems they know they're having, because they already feel like they can't control them.

Lorbeag, totally agree and when discussing eating disorders they always use really skinny images in their media reports. The media has a lot to answer for, in regards to society's representation of a lot of mental health problems.

I agree with Sophie, it's really hard to know what occurred first, it's a "chicken and egg" kind of scenario! But depression, self-injury, anxiety, are definitely linked with eating disorders. I believe also some personality disorders are linked as well.

I can completely identify and am stuck in exactly the dilemma /rut you describe. My team have assured me that if my nutritional status improves so too will those irrational thoughts and feelings of guilt, but alas it's those same issues which are impacting on my ability to improve my nutritional status.

Lorbeag: totally - the media has a really important role in debunking myths and unfortunately not only do stories not debunk myths but contribute to them... Luckily a lot of people are doing important work in this area, including MindFrame who train journalists on how to not only report safely about mental health issues and not contribute to stereotypes, but even contribute to having a positive effect on community awareness. Here are their guidelines: http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Bubblez - That's totally right - it's not just about food. There are lots of other things going on for the person that lead to the disordered eating. So telling someone to 'just eat' is really unhelpful, but also pretty pointless too as it's just not that simple.