cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Eating Disorders & Body Image

Yep I find this very accurate

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to be a supportive friend to someone with an eating disorder?

A big thing I think is to not be judgemental, to try and understand and also just be there for them when they need someone to lean on for support.

ANoth thing is not to put alot of pressure on the friend with the eating diroder in regards to 'getting better' but also not to pressure yourself to be 'enough'' -supportive enough, understand enough etc.

We do need to be careful not to blame mothers!  As I mentioned before there are many reasons why a person will develop an eating disorder and they are so much more complex than a person just wanting to gain control over (something/anything)

DK - unfortunately exercise obsessions are a serious part of eating disorders and are not separate or a different condition! 

Bubblez, not being judgemental is a huge one... it can be hard sometimes but we all should work hard at keeping this at the front of our minds when supporting family and friends

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to be a supportive friend to someone with an eating disorder?

I think it's pretty important to be patient and understanding, and to remember that it IS a mental illness, and not as simple as just 'getting over it'. 

I personally found it helpful when people kept food behaviours and meals as normal as possible, and didn't draw attention to the fact I might have been uncomfortable. Making a fuss or turning it into a big deal increases anxiety I think.

Also just listening and not treating your friend any differently.

dk

Always offer hope. No matter how bad things get, give hug and a whisper in the ear saying 'everything will be ok, you can get through this'. This what we did for 6 years as parents when she was having a down moment. She tells us now this gave her hope.
Highlighted

In addition to friends, I would be very interested to know how you can be supportive for loved ones (a sibling or other family member, girlfriend/boyfriend) specifically, if it may be different to a friend?

I have a loved one currently battling with an eating disorder (along with depression and other issues that are all intertwined with her eating disorder) and she's having a very difficult time. I try to be as supportive as I can be for her, but it can be very difficult at times.

Some things include:

- Definitely encourage them to get professional help. This is definitely number one.

- Don't treat them any differently. If they trusted you enough to tell you, they probably don't want a big deal made out of it and don't want you to feel sorry for them or treat them in any special way. They will probably appreciate just having a "normal" friend to do "normal" things with when they are having bad days.

- Be there for them when they need it. If they want to cry or scream, let them. Be there for them and let them know that you'll hold their hand through it all (if you are up to it of course, this can be a BIG challenge).

-Get support for yourself if you are feeling overwhelmed. You can't support your friend if you are not coping. It can be a challenge supporting a friend with any mental health problem, this includes eating disorders.

I'm heading off for the night. Really appreciate facilitators and members of our community being here tonight. It's good to hear I'm on the right track with some of my understanding. It's inspiring to hear other peoples success in overcoming previous challenges of living with an eating disorder.

Look forward to following up with Butterfly and further ReachOut Infobus'.

dk: it must be really reassuring to hear from your daughter now that it gave her hope. You've been through a lot but it sounds like it was all worth it