cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INFOBUS: Gender is more than male or female

The first question often asked after we’re born is “Is it a boy or a girl?” The assumption is that a child will fulfill one of those two distinct categories. But we are not all born ‘standard male’ or ‘standard female’. The reality is that gender is more complex.  The term 'gender diversity' refers to the fact that there are many genders beyond just ‘male’ and ‘female’; gender can be fluid and limitless.

Check out our factsheet on sex and gender.

In July of 2012 a group of young people who stand under the umbrella term ‘gender diverse’ came together, and in a series of workshops with the crew from Jump Academy and Twenty10, they created a video about gender identity. Join the film's news anchors Pete and Squirrel, and special reporter Victoria Pomegranate as they investigate gender identities for young people.

WATCH IT NOW!!

On Thursday October 18th 2012, we'll be joined by some of the people involved with making the film and a youth worker from Twenty10 to have forum discussion about the film and about diverse gender identities.

Curious about gender identity or got some expertise to share?

Come along at 7pm (AEST) on Thursday October 18th right here.

In the meantime, check out this awesome resource: GQ: Gender Questioning produced by Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria & Trans Melbourne Gender Project. It is designed to provide information and support to young people between 16 and 25 who are questioning their gender or supporting someone who is doing so.  

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Gender is more than male or female

I actually learned about 'gender' in psychology this semester. It is no longer as simple as determining one's gender based on chromosomes. There is so much more to that like hormones and self identity with the latter being the most important. You can't force someone to change to a different gender with gender reassignment for example. The individual should be given the choice and time to decide.

Great point Doris. 

I like it in the video when Sean says "just treat me like a human being". It reminded me that gender is like anything - taste in music, religious views, or education levels for example - it doesn't tell you anything about the type of person someone is, and is not something we should expect to be judged on.

I'm looking forward to this discussion!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Hey y’all welcome to tonight’s discussion. We’re joined by the awesome Twenty10 and some of the young people involved in making the awesome Twenty10 puppets film that’s back up the top there.

Tonight we’re going to be have a chat continuing on from what Squirrel, Pete and Victoria Pomegranate were discussing about gender identity.

Tonight we’re joined by Cassie_J, Antigenlost1989, Twenty10 (Rebecca) and Gail to talk about all things to do with gender identity. Make sure you watch the film above - coz all our questions will be absed around the film!!

Don't forget to keep the ReachOut.com guidelines in mind tonight, so I'm going to hand it over now! Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone!

My name is Cassie, and I'm really looking forward to tonight's discussion. Smiley Happy

Hey people Smiley Happy ,

I'm Sean nice to meet you

Hello, my name is Rebecca. I'm representing Twenty10 tonight, I am the Drop-in worker in real life at Twenty10

Hi all!

Looking forward to this discussion Smiley Happy Huge thanks to the awesome peeps from Twenty10 for joining us on this one!

Highlighted

So after you've finished watching the video please could you answer...

How’d you like the video and what was your favourite part?

@Cassie_J wrote:

So after you've finished watching the video please could you answer...

How’d you like the video and what was your favourite part?

I really liked that along with talking about what life is like for young gender diverse people, there was a bit of discussion around how we can best support our friends/family members/workmates/whoever that identify as gender diverse. I know for a lot of people it can be really hard to know what to do or say, and it can be really easy to say the wrong thing without intending to at all... so I found it really helpful to hear the way young gender diverse people want to be supported, from the young people themselves.