cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Gender is more than male or female

@seb, I definitely agree that there needs to be a lot more empathy/"putting yourself in someone elses shoes" in this world.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Seb

Find it interesting how hard it is for some people to respect others. You want to be treated like you treated like you treat others, with respect. We are all human for goodness sake!

Gay

What stood out for me is that we are all just people and we should treat other people not only just how we wish to be treated but also in the way they want to be treated.  Names and pronouns are things that a lot of people probably never really consciously think about and probably seem like such little things to some people but they really mean a lot and are a show of respect. Calling my friends by their preferred names and pronouns tells them that I respect them and that I value them for who they are. I think sometimes with pronouns people misunderstand and get caught up in "what" people are rather than who they are and who the person is in front of them. We are all people!

Hey Seb I have to agree, at the end of the day just because we're unique doesn't mean we are not similar and if everyone just shared a little friendship and respected everyones right to be different people would have an much easier time.

Was there anything in the film that really struck a chord with you? Maybe something that described you or someone you care about or maybe something you’ve thought about a lot before?

Yep I agree Gay - pronouns aren't something I think about at all really - but for some people they can hold a lot of weight, so it's really important to be aware of what people prefer, so that you can be respectful towards them.

Seb

Thanks Sean, it is so important. It's just common manners as well. We are all unique and that should be praised! Smiley Happy

when someone tells you their name and the way they like to be addressed, its their way of inviting you to respect them.
not too their face, but also to show respect for them in other conversations. because, we use people's pronouns when we are talking about them, or introducing them to other people.
so, in a way, its really special.

@Twenty10 wrote:
Was there anything in the film that really struck a chord with you? Maybe something that described you or someone you care about or maybe something you’ve thought about a lot before?

It wasn't a new thought for me, but just the thought that referring to someone in terms of their gender diversity is so outdated. As in - it's not appropriate to refer to people by disability, race, mental illness, or anything else that differentiates them from others - so why do people do it with gender diverse people? It shows how important it is to continue to highlight that we are all people, regardless of gender.

Yeah, pronouns are important and it take us awhile to learn to use people's preferred pronouns, especially when they are gender-neutral pronouns, like they/their or ze/hir, because we are not used to using them. I go by they so people are bound to slip up, but that's easily fixed with a sorry and/or correcting themselves.