cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seb

Re: INFOBUS: Gender is more than male or female

you are so right Rebecca, we shouuld ask a person how she/he would like to be called and the pronouns, that shows that we r respecting the other person and creating a safe place for everyone to be theirselves

Re: Gender is more than male or female

@antigenlost1989 wrote:

so..  Is there anything you’re curious about or have a question about after watching the film?

Anything that made you think closely or just got your interest ...

I'm curious - do you find that people's reactions can be different depending on their age? I think perhaps our generation (young people) are more aware and understanding of gender diversity than older generations... Do you find that?

it can be hard for people to get their heads around reffering to people in the way they wish.
I think its important that people are aware that if you make a mistake when getting used to a new way a person has chosen to be referred to i.e. names and pronouns, just trying to use them the right way can make a big difference for those people and its a simple matter of apologising.
Everyone makes mistakes and its good to recognise that and not be too hard on yourself and others, while being assertive about what's respectful

I find that it's good to encourage ourselves and others to reduce how much we gender people and things in general, which makes it easier/we're more practiced for using gender neutral language (they/them/their/they're) when that's someone's preferred pronouns.

@Gail

I find that it doesn't matter which generation people are from.

It's more about the individual and their sense of openness to new things , differing people and situations.

If someone is open they are more likely to approach a difference as something to learn about and explore, rather than something to fear or discriminate against.

@DaniFC - also its great to unpack and think about gender and how it operates in the world(s) we live in ... teevee, movies, music, internet, fashion etc..

Awesome responses and opinions so far, now we've got another question

What do you think it’s important for all people to know and understand about gender identity?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Seb

That it is more complex that anyone would of thought and that instead of being all freaked out about it they should all get informed and get the facts

Nicely put Seb Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I think it's important for people to know that gender is a spectrum NOT a binary and that people sit all along it.

Also, that you cannot know a person's gender identity just by looking at them.

Here is a great song called Gender Fierce Anthem by delisubthefemmecub that talks about gender and people's assumptions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pVPNL6pAYg