cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS: Gender is more than male or female

I think its important that people who identify as other than cis-gender are not seen as one dimensional, they are people with interests, they watch movies, they play games they may like shopping or not Smiley Happy ... But them being different in this one area doesn't mean that they aren't so much more than that difference.

@Seb
and that the complexity is really incredible! that there is this whole magical world of ways to be and express yourself.

All of this stuff is so important for all people to know!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Cassie_J wrote:

I think it's important for people to know that gender is a spectrum NOT a binary and that people sit all along it.

Also, that you cannot know a person's gender identity just by looking at them.

These are pretty much exactly what I was going to say Smiley Happy

Gay

Building on from what you said Sean, I think it's important for people to know that people who identify as other than cis-gender are not only more than one dimensional but that their interests and things they like to do are not necessarily stereotypical to the gender that they identify as. E.g. just because a person is a trans man doesn't mean that he can't wear make-up or wear a dress sometimes. A trans man is just like any other man and has his own interests and hobbies etc.

If someone asked you for advice on how to be respectful of your trans or genderqueer friend – what advice would you give them?

Seb

So darn right Rebecca! This complexity allows us to grow, being ourselves and therefore more happy in our lives!

I think it is also important for people not to make assumptions on a persons sexuality based on their gender identity. Sexual orientation is diverse among everyone

I agree with you Gay, 150%. Gender is not defined by what we wear, or what we like, it's defined by ourselves.

@Twenty10 wrote:

If someone asked you for advice on how to be respectful of your trans or genderqueer friend – what advice would you give them?

I'd tell them to treat them just like they would treat any other friend! If they were confused about how to refer to their friend, I'd probably tell them to follow the lead of their friend, and if they're confused to ask their friend straight out how they want to be referred to - by asking, they're showing that they're open to doing whatever the friend wants, and are just trying to make sure they're being respectful.